1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region code?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by deezalboy, Jul 10, 2010.

1. deezalboy

deezalboy Regular member

I have two dvd players (1) JVC CA-MXDK11 and (2) Toshiba SD700KY. Both will play some burned dvds and not some other burned discs. Could it be the region code and if so how to check it and or change it please?? I`m using new quality discs and processing through dvd fab-dvd shrink-imgburn.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Burned disks don't have a region code.
    If you are in North America it could be a PAL/NTSC issue - but you should get an error message saying the disk is the wrong format.
    North America uses the NTSC standard.
    You can check using GSpot by dragging a VOB file onto the window.

[​IMG]

3. deezalboy

deezalboy Regular member

Thank You very much. I`ll try that. I`m in Australia-region 4-pal. Cheers

4. attar

attar Senior member

AFAIK a PAL DVD player (at least the ones in the UK) would have no problem with an NTSC disk.

5. deezalboy

deezalboy Regular member

Thank You.

6. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

im in australia and i had a problem with an NTSC dvd.it played in black and white.guess if i had a tv that supports NTSC i wouldnt of had that problem.

7. attar

attar Senior member

I'm in North America and assumed that standalone players in the rest of the world could handle both types of disk (NTSC and PAL).

I know from family members in the UK, that UK models handle both types of disk (the region coding on commercial disks is a different issue).

Two of my players can play PAL disks with no problem - but many of the models sold here cannot (I have a Panasonic and a Toshiba which cannot handle PAL disks)..

Generally if the standalone setup menu offers the choice of connecting to an NTSC or PAL TV set, then they can play both types of disk (no matter the type of disk, the video output in my case is always NTSC because that's what I tell it to output).