1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Region free?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by crumb, Jan 17, 2005.

1. crumb

crumb Member

My dad got a PAL movie, and he researched up on converting it, but then found out he can use DVD Shrink to rip the movie "region-free", and then burn it with DVD Decrypter. He tried this tonight and the disc still says "Not NTSC" in the DVD Player. It is a Toshiba SD2800. What is the problem?

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Try downloading and installing AnyDVD this will run in the back ground allowing you to do everything else as normal.

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

NTSC and PAL are 2 different video formats and your machines have to be able to read both format. But the video format is also different from region codes. Making it region free won't change the PAL format to NTSC and your Toshiba is probably NTSC ONLY.

Jerry

4. crumb

crumb Member

I have AnyDVD... it sucks that it's for the DVD drive only, and not the DVD player. And I am aware that my DVD Player is NTSC, but I figured that writing it as "region free" would make the DVD Player read it because it's not restricted to any one region.

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

No, thats not how it works. Like I said you have 2 problems to overcome. The region is only half of it. The main problem is the PAL format.

Jerry

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Also AnyDVD is a decrypter and won't change the PAL format to NTSC. So that won't help either. I have read there are converters to change PAL tp NTSC but I don't have any links to the programs. Maybe try a search for PAL TO NTSC CONVERTERS.

Jerry

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I'm sorry I misunderstood your question, but I don't know of any one else that thinks ANYDvd sucks?

Any way you need to convert the movie from PAL to NTSC after ripping it to your hard Drive, and this can be done search for a program called neoDVDplus
    This is a simple to use program and will convert from PAL to NTSC