1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

region free?

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by Anna225, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Anna225

Anna225 Member

Hi,
    So my problem is that I need my Macbook to play more than one type of region DVDs. Every time I try and download a dvd player off the net, it still tells me I would have to switch the region, and I'm running out of the 5 region switches! Is there any program that i can download for free to get rid of this problem?

2. trigga71

trigga71 Regular member

you need fine the modle number of your cd drive ( bule apple -> about this mac->(new window opens) more info -> (new window) under hardware sould be ATA click it. thats your cd drive

Now you need to do a search on google for (model name/number) RPC1 (region free) You will need to flash the firmware on the cd drive. From what i searched for really quick there is no RPC1 firmware for macbook drives

*MAKE SURE IF YOU DO FLASH THAT THE FIRMWARE IS FOR YOUR DRIVE AS IF ITS NOT YOUR DRIVE WILL MOST LIKEY BE DEAD AFTERWARD!!!*

3. tabletpc

tabletpc Guest

ok there is application you have to go to bittorrent to find it's called mactheripper it fixes the region issues and i cannot tell you where to find it now if you want a simple method

use handbrake convert the dvd to mpeg 4 then use frontrow which im hopeing is on your laptop if not use vlc media player then you can play all of your dvd's without region restrictions and even better you can turn on languages and subtitles

so it is really neat and a free application

4. trigga71

trigga71 Regular member

yes that method does work and works good, but is very time consuming. I think you should find an external or internal drive that yoy can flash to be rgoin free, i flashed my PowerMac G5 and havent had any problems. In fact Sometimes you can gain fetchers when you flash with a different firmware, Like faster read and wright speeds, better media support etc.

5. tabletpc

tabletpc Guest

the macbook drives are called rez 2 meaning they cannot be patched with a firmware fix by hackers