1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Registry Repair to Fix Slow Computer, Javascript problems, etc...HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by atraveler, Dec 8, 2005.

1. atraveler

atraveler Member

Hi,

So I was having a javascript problem, whereas at many sites I was getting this javascript:void(0) at the bottom left corner of my screen when I tried to click on links on many different Web pages (Victoria Secret, ESPN, etc...). I did a google search and found it was a problem that other people had experienced, but the only answer to potentially fixing the problem was downloading one of the many registry repair softwares. My problem is I know nothing about registry repair softwares and after doing a lot of reading, it seems there are more horror stories than success stories out there on the web about these types of softwares. I read lots of things about people not being able to reboot their computers, use certain programs, use printers, etc..etc... So I am wondering if anyone has any advice about a secure fairly reliable program that I can download (preferably free, but I am willing to pay for the right program)in order to perform a full scan and repair and perhaps get my computer running properly again, as I get errors all the time and it does lock up sometimes, etc...

I'm a graduate student and while I try to be dilligent about backing up files, etc...my real fear is not losing files, so much as losing access to my computer or to certain programs. I'd rather live with the problems than risk not being able to use the system. So again, looking for any suggestions about these types of registry repair softwares and ones that are reliable and trustworthy.

Thanks!

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Registry Mechanic has a good reputation ! BUT BUT BUT as always the onus is on YOU to first of all make a backup of your registry first ! -- Although Registry Mechanic does that for you and puts it in a file in case you do want to revert ! If you dont trust them , best you do it yourself !

just google :- [bold]Registry Mechanic[/bold]

Cheers !

3. atraveler

atraveler Member

Thanks for the advice. One question, a silly one, but what is the best way to back-up your registry. I know how to back up files...I back up all my important documents, etc...on CD, as well as regular floppy, but wouldn't begin to know how to back-up the registry. I set a system restore point for today, just in case there are any problems, but that said, if I end up not being able to even log into my system, system restore won't do me much good. Tips? Thanks!

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Backing up is simply exporting information from the registry into a file that is saved on your desktop. When you invoke the export function you are given a choice of different file types that can be saved. Choose Registration [*.Reg].

Click START -- RUN ---Type in Regedit and <enter>

Click FILE --- EXPORT ---> Save in -->browse to your desktop -- File Name : My Registry Today's Date and before you click SAVE ... Put a TICK in ALL at the very bottom.

Be patient it could take a fair amount of time ! but you will end up with a My Registry Today's Date.reg on your desk that you could use to re-established things later !

5. atraveler

atraveler Member

Sorry for the delay in reply. My email was dumping the notifications from here into junk mail. Thanks for the advice. As soon as I'm done with my files going to check out the regrepair program. Thanks again!