1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

regular mpgs onto dvd-r?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bodge, Aug 9, 2003.

1. bodge

bodge Member

Hi all..
    Forgive me if this has been answered before, but I've searched and wasn't able to come up with anything.
    So anyway, my friend is a mad Rammstein freak, he buys all their original albums and videos from the shops, but he's unable to get bootleg mpg's anywhere other than the net. So I've downloaded around a gig of mpg's for him, some are even as old as 1990. Anyway we have a pioneer a05 and Im trying to put them onto a dvd-r so he can play them in his standalone sony dvd player.
    The problem is, nero seems to want different format files, not mpg. I've read a howto on dvdrhelp.com but I got stuck on step 0, even after following the steps and getting the correc tools. Can someone please help me put these mpgs onto a single dvd-r as a vcd or svcd so my mate can watch them? I appreciate it, thanks guys/gals.

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Use a prog called 'G-Spot' and see exactly what the files are.
    For example ; MPEG1 or perhaps MPEG2 ??

MPEG2 will burn straight to DVD-R w/ Nero [data disc mode] and be playable in your friends Sony player if it's anything like my Sony DVP-NS305.

And yes this question has been asked numerous times , you might like to try 'Search Messages' function at the top of the page

3. bodge

bodge Member

Hi there!
    Well I actually got it working using svcd2dvdmpg and ulead movie factory.. and it seems okay, but it really chewed the CPU and memory and nero is normally lots smoother than that. Anyway about nero.. my mate has a dvp-ns305, I used g-spot and it seems they are mpeg1, i burned them to disc as data (with nero) and tried using it and it said cannot play this disc.. So anyway now Ive converted them all to mpeg2 and I followed the steps on svcd2dvdmpg.com and they work ok.. But man, its very confusing, and now instead of 30 mpgs theres like 70 or something, in 1 folder. And the audio is split from the video.. What I want to know is.. can't I just load up all these mpeg1 original mpg's and tell nero to burn them as mpeg2 onto a dvd-r? Nero seems to do almost everything else, so is this possible? Thanks for replying, greatly appreciated

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Nero can encode Mpeg to Mpeg-2 but it's not good at it.
    I'd use TMPGEnc (Plus) to encode with

Only Mpeg-2 will burn to DVD-R and be playable in Sony btw : )

Peace

5. Smuggler

Smuggler Guest

Isn't CCE a lot faster than TMPGEnc ? TMPGEnc took me +/- 10hours to convert a NTSC Divx to MPEG-2 Pal .....

6. bodge

bodge Member

Hey,
    yeah not too sure smuggler.. thanks again by the way herbsman.. so I think I have worked it out now.. so basically I just open TMPGEnc, I open the MPEG-1 file, make sure I have selected the DVD PAL from the start, then it outputs a MPEG-2 file.. and from there, I can go into nero and go to new dvd, then drag them new encoded files across? I was always confused when I tried burning MPEG-1 to DVD-VIDEO because it was asking for VPO files or BPO or something like that.. so if I convert to MPEG-2 with TMPGEnc, then nero will accept them as dvd-video files?
    Hopefully I have that right.. cheers gents