1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reinstallation cd

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by rtrg, Jul 11, 2010.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Please post this in your WIN OPERATEING SYSTEMS forum. I would appreciate a definitive answer. I have 2 DELL XP reinstalltion CDs, PRO and HOME,GREEN and BLUE. The only restictions that I can see is that it is designed to reinstall the os that was factory installed. In my experience that is not entirely true. I used it to fix 3 DIMENSIONS 8100s which needed new(harvested) hdds. These hard drives all came from non dells, The 3 OSs were NOT xp. They were win 98, 2000, ME. During the install process the CD formats(wipes clean) the existing OS. The drive is now no different than a new one in the box. The next step is the OS installation. In the end a working machine is presented in RAW condition, that is only the OSs built in programs software are present, IE, OE, scan wizard, ect. All the internal hardware was detected and drivers installed. 100% functional as is. Only the final touches are needed.

Having this explanation in mind, would it not be possible to use either of these CDs to do the same job on a non dell? I would imagine that only the preparation process would be different, as in getting into the bios and boot screens, putting the cd drive as the first device, and saving those choices to get to the OS set up screen.

One of these has a product key, the other does not. The key was NOT asked for, and activation was NOT asked for. My logic says that this process should work on any tower since it wipes the hdd clean without regard to the existing OS installed on THAT drive. Two friends tried it as an experiment, one on a GATEWAY and one on an HP. One was win 2000 and one was XP MEDIA CENTER. Both were 100% successful. No issues at all. The cd did not seem to care that it was reanimating a tower it did not come with.

Please tell me if my logic is correct. If yes than I will be able to get more towers to work for that reason, I am willing to reload the OS only to find out later that the tower has other issues. I only lose the time it takes to do it. Being retired I have lots of that. You might want to try this yourself to verify that what I think should happen will indeed happen.

2. dailun

dailun Active member

The answer is yes. I use my Dell Windows XP reinstallation CD one everything under the sun, IBMs, closes, etc.

Caveats:

1)The license key must MATCH the version that you are installing. ex. (XP SP1 key will (usually) not with with an XP SP2 CD.

2)The key issue. It is possible that there is either a pre-installed key or a VLK embedded in the CD. I know that this is NOT the case on my reinstallation CD because I am asked for a new key every time.

pros - no license required

cons - if the license is ever reported or deemed by Microsoft to be 'compromised" it will fail the WGA validation check and auto-updates won't work.

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

DAILUN--- If I use this cd with non DELLS is the PREP process similar? That is putting the CD DRIVE on the top of the boot list. SAVING and exiting those choices in order to get to the BLUE XP SET UP screen? Tower #3 gave me fits. Error messages and incorrect screens. I needed to reinstall the original C drive and add an 80 to get it up and running. I do have the key code. With a non DELL will the system ask for and give me a place to enter it? Will it be accepted? Any other advice welcome. I will try this if and when I come across a non DELL. I will replace the C drive in case I need to reuse it. If nothing else it may work with another tower of the same brand. #1 uses a non genuine copy of XP PRO. With the exception of not being able to install SOME software from the MS site, not much of a limitation, the OS is perfect. #3 would not allow me to install COMODO TIME MACHINE, error, "CANNOT FIND DEVICE ID PLEASE EXIT". Do you know of a program similar to the XP SYSTEM RESTORE? That is what CTM is. I cannot find a fully functional REALLY FREE program, NOT a trial version. SR does not always work. at that point it is dead. I have no clue if and where it can be downloaded for sp 2, or if it is possible to repair it. Download a repair program?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  4. okfine

okfine Member

You do know that what your discussing doing here is illegal right?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  5. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

true if some one was doing that it would be illegal
    luckily anything that is done here is for educational & research purposes ect..ect...
    [​IMG]aint that right lads

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

works by me.

7. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I am glad we came to an understanding. It is never my intention to do anything illegal or get either of us/members/forum in difficulty. I will be more careful in the future.

8. okfine

okfine Member

I wonder if Microsoft would agree?

9. ddp

i'm not going to worry about it as it will either work or not work on a non-oem setup as ms already got paid for the license.

10. RastaDave

RastaDave Regular member

Are you the MS Police . Jeeeezzz

11. okfine

okfine Member

How do you know if Microsoft got paid? They seem to have taken precautions to prevent this with Windows 7. I just think they might have a problem and dont want to see anyone get themselves into trouble.

12. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I am glad we agree. Someone paid for the license ten years ago when it came off the store shelf. Whether this cd was packaged with the tower or was purchased later is of no interest to me. When I get a non dell I will find out.

13. ddp

okfine, ms got paid or the oem windows would come up not genuine & ms would have sued the oem manufacturer & won.

14. okfine

okfine Member

Did you purchase the cd?
    Yes but the license suppose to be for one machine at a time. It sounds like this person is going to use it on several. What do you think Microsoft would say about that? Do you think they would see that as legal? If it is then why did they go through so much trouble trying to stop this with 7?

15. ddp

if the machine died but the disk is still good then why not use it on anther machine even if non-oem? i've got a customer with 1 genuine xp cd activated on 2 different pc's with no problem & no monkey business doing that too.

16. okfine

okfine Member

Maybe someone should ask and see how Microsoft would feel?

17. RastaDave

RastaDave Regular member

Why do you care so much . Do you work for MS . You pay for the key any way not the cd . The cd is garbage without a valid key . Unless you are try to crack Windows , which is not the case . By the way Win7 is the easiest to crack .

18. okfine

okfine Member

Maybe I do work for Microsoft. Yes but the key is suppose to be for one working machine at a time. Now tell me again how easy 7 is to do again.

19. RastaDave

RastaDave Regular member

ITS EASY !

20. okfine

okfine Member

I tell MS you said so.