1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reinstalling MBR Over Grub

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by shengoro, Jul 15, 2010.

1. shengoro

shengoro Member

Hello, for the past year I have been dual booting Ubuntu 64bit (9.04 - 10.04) and Windows XP 32 Pro on two different hard drives with one partition on each. I have Grub handling the OSes and the chain loading. I messed up my Linux distro while upgrading to 10.04 and now I'm looking to just keep my Ubuntu as a live CD.

I tried to overwrite the MBR with NTLDR and overwrite Grub. I used the recovery console on my Windows Disc and it says that it has been successfully overwritten. But when i turn on my computer it still has Grub on it.

I did some research and found a technique using DOS but I'm looking to see if there is something wrong with my methods.I am willing to just throw in a different Hard Disk that was not one of the originals and just install XP onto that but I want to keep my current installation.

Thank you for your time.
    -James

2. budro

budro Regular member

If I remember correctly, the MBR is not the problem, it's the boot sector.

Boot into your win xp recovery environment again and issue the 'fixboot' command (I would then update the MBR as well, just my habit).

Regards

Budro