1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reinstalling Windows XP operating system...need help please...

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by gmoret, Aug 16, 2007.

1. gmoret

gmoret Member

I reformatted my hard drive to uninstall xp and install windows 2000 only to find that the system will only work with xp operating system. I don't have recovery disk...can order but need to get system up immediately if possible...I used Norton Ghost 2005 to make disk mirror of the hard drive of my wife's computer (which has xp operating system on it)but system won't boot....can anyone help? Thank you

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

I've never used ghost, but use acronis true image to do clones.
    But one problem that always happens to me when restoring windows xp is drive letter changes. This will cause the restored hard drive not to boot.
    From what I read, on windows xp, when it starts up on a new hard drive and doesn't recognize the partitions, it will change drive letters. This might be what is causing your problem.
    It's a simple fix, just change the drive letter back to what it is suppose to be.
    Use the demo of "paragon justboot corrector" and see if that boots up your computer, look at what the system drive letter is. In most cases it's suppose to be c: drive. If it's anything else it won't boot.
    The only programs that I have used to change drive letters on a non-booting hard drive are "paragon justboot corrector full version" and "avanquest partition commander pro version 10" both can modify the registry on non-booting hard drives. From my expierience, changing a drive letter and rebooting has always started up my computer.

demo here
    http://www.justboot.us/boot_corrector.htm

directions to change drive letters using freeware
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=174958

3. gmoret

gmoret Member

Thanks I'm going to give it a try, will let you know the results.