1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reinstalling windows xp

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by goseattle, Nov 27, 2007.

1. goseattle

goseattle Guest

Hello all;
    My windows xp needs to be reinstalled. I have the reinstallation cd with sp2. I found the steps on how to do reinstall windows, but I am unsure about the partition part. Should i delete the partition or create a new one. The problem with my xp is that it keeps on rebooting going back to safe mode. Clicking the start normally isn't working ( i'm sure some of you have experienced this problem) giving me the only option of reinstalling the program. I appreciate any inputs.

2. Zer0ink

Zer0ink Regular member

if you only have one partition on your harddrive it doesnt matter

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

delete the partition, make a new partition then format it before loading windows on. if that is a recovery cd then it will do that automatically.

4. goseattle

goseattle Guest

DDP, I have the purple Windows Reinstallation CD with SP2 from Dell. I am not sure if it's a recovery CD. Difference? Thanks for replying. thanks to ZerOink also.

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i hope you've backed up your data, because reformatting will cause you to lose it.

just use that dell disk, and do a full restore or whatever similar option (the most extensive one) it gives you.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

goseattle, that is the recovery disk.