1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reinstalling XP

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ital_dj, Jan 29, 2007.

1. ital_dj

ital_dj Member

Hi, I'm about to reinstall my OS, just to clean up some old files, and generally make the computer faster. I have never reinstalled windows before, so is there any guide to doing it? Thanks in advance! Also, I have a different question... is there only one XP CD? So, will all versions of XP run on 32x or 64x, or do you need a special CD for each bit computer?

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

32 and 64bit versions are two different CDs. x64 is based on XP Professional...there is no Home version.

No guides you'll need really...just follow the prompts, delete and recreate your partitions and you'll be on your way.

Some helpful hints:

Use QuickNTFS when formatting unless you suspect your hard drive may have physical errors (older drives especially).

Install XP with SP2 integrated so you're not installing the service pack as an update.

Install chipset (motherboard) drivers, then video, then sound...firewall, then off to Windows update.