1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"REMINDER" - Pop Up

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by gerry1, Mar 9, 2006.

1. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I don't even know if I've got the right forum. I'm getting really annoyed. Every ten minuts or so, I get this "Reminder" pop-up (for lack of a better term) no other pop ups at all; I don't think its a pop up in the usual sense. It seems something is trying to get an internet connection but getting the usual "The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The web site might be experiencing technical difficulties....." at the top is a blue stripe saying "REMINDER" in big bold letters and the date and time. I can't figure out how to stop this damn thing. There is no way to close or minimize it but , fortunately, alt/f4 gets rid of it for five to tem minuts. I have no new software for which I clicked "register later". What is this thing? Usually, if anything tries to access the net, my norton flags me...it's not. I've run norton's internet security professional to eliminate spyware, cookies, URL history, virus scan etc. No effect. I've run three tools ddp gave me, i.e., cccleaner, cw shreader, spybot, and Trend Micro virus scan...again, no effect. My system has been scanned to death...the ultimate computer enema to no effect. When I finish, there it is again not a few moments later. Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2006
  2. spertti

spertti Active member

Just a wild quess. Could it be messenger service? You can turn it off this way
    Start > Run > services.msc > Search "messenger service" from the list > doubleclick it and choose stop > disable automatic start.

Sorry if the terms are not correct but my Windows is in Finnish.

If that wasn´t the problem you could try posting HjT-log here.

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Thank You for the suggestion Spertti ... I'll give it a try!

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

YOU'RE A GENIUS!!! Thank You so much! Actually, I did the exact opposite. It said "disabled" so I tried "automatic" but it stopped! Thanks again, that was so annoying!....Gerry

5. spertti

spertti Active member

Ok =) Nice if it worked. That´s super annoying - believe me I know...

6. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Thanks AGAIN!