1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

remote software recommended and advise

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ksj, Jun 21, 2007.

1. ksj

ksj Member

I looking to see if there is any good remote software in home networking enviroment. Please let me know. Thanks

2. britz660

britz660 Member

so you want to log into your home network from a remote location?

Well there is VPN, that can be complicated though, but you could use a program called Hamachi

There is also a program called "GotoMyPC"

What exactly do you want to do?

3. ksj

ksj Member

brit thanks for the info. for now i just wanted to use it for home where i can access a remote pc that connect lcd tv. i just dont' want to the front open a video file and forth, however in the near future, i would like to remote log into my pc from work and when necessary can transfer or download file. I heard that people start to use dynamic dns cuz i don't have static ips. I at my work only port 80 is open and all other ports are close. at my work place, they only use remote admin

thanks

4. britz660

britz660 Member

I have never used GoToMy Pc but I am pretty sure someone i know at work told me you can't transfer files with it, but just control the other desktop. Alternatively you can use the other computer to download the file from some location on the net you save your video file to.

With your port 80 restrictions you should still be able use the program. They have a connectivity test somewhere on their website so you might want to find that and try it to be sure. As for the dynamic dns if you want to set one up go for it... dyndns.org ... it will require that you put a client on the host computer (computer you are connecting to) so that it will always update it with the new IP address.

As for remote admin, I have never used it either, but if it meets your needs just use it. The IT guys i know have a preference of gotomy pc so I don't know.