1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing a HD from an old computer and reinstalling it as the primary drive?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by pchorizon, Jun 22, 2007.

1. pchorizon

pchorizon Member

To any who can help?

I want to remove a hard drive from an older system and make it the primary drive of the new system. The drive has WinXP Pro OS on it and my question is, will there be a problem when when I make the changes?

- Will XP reckonize the new hardware without major problems?
    - Do I have to delete all hardware profiles before I shut down the old system, take out the drive, and then install it into the new system?

Your insight is helpful,

Thanks,

I'm a computer tech on the side and have an understanding of how computers work, but than again, I'm always learning something new and then everything changes, it's a never ending cycle! :)

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Even if it works, you're going to have a ton of registry gremlins from whatever computer it came from.

If you have the XP disc, I would recommend formatting that hard drive and installing the OS on that "fresh" drive.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if both motherboards have same chipset as in via to via or intel to intel then might be alright but if different chipset as via to intel then xp will barf. do a fresh install

4. pchorizon

pchorizon Member

Thanks, sorry it took so long to respond,

I have a registry program that I can run, but I will most likely just reinstall the operating system. It's never easy is it? :)

Thanks again!

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

nope as i do it all the time.