1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing codecs on computer

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by xjihadx, Mar 25, 2004.

1. xjihadx

xjihadx Member

Dudes and ladies...please help a brotha out.

so my dumb ass decided to download MULTIPLE codec packs over the last few months (defiler, klite, ace, divx 5, indeo, etc. etc.). i have also uninstalled these packs just as much as i've downloaded them. i had everything working ok for the most part then i downloaded this new program by pioneer which lets you make small avi clips that you can upload to your car stereo. to make a long story a little shorter, the program would accept any of my avi files that i had. i proceeded to install the program on my friends comp to see if it worked and sure enough it did. that led me to believe i had codec issues on my comp.

i proceeded to download and remove codecs like no tomorrow. i even followed Praetor's instructions on his "ideal" setup. now my movies won't play at all. it gives me the "error downloading codec" message and sometimes it brings up a box saying that it doesnt know what program to use to open the selected file and it asks me to search internet for one or browse. when i go to control panel--->sounds and audio devices---> hardware--->video codecs: it says i have 3 downloaded, "3vix codec," "Ligos Indeo XP Video 5.2," and, "Xvid Mpeg-4 video codec." it also says i have 2 audio codecs installed, but i cannot recall the names.

in any case, everytime i try to remove these codecs and restart the comp, they are still there. i can't seem to get rid of them. MY QUESTION IS THIS:

how do i wipe my comp clean of all installed codecs/codec drivers so i can start over and install only the ones i want. i need step by step instructions or any ideas anyone may have. i tried just downloading the defiler pack hoping that would just override the codecs i have installed but it still wont play the movies. HELP if possible please!!!

2. xjihadx

xjihadx Member

"...downloaded this new program by pioneer which lets you make small avi clips that you can upload to your car stereo. to make a long story a little shorter, the program would accept any of my avi files that i had"

i messed up...i meant to say the program WOULDN'T accept any of my avi files. sorry...