1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing Partitions

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Rayzyn, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Rayzyn

Rayzyn Member

i didnt even want my hardrive split up but the computer store guy did. I want to remove them.. Format my whole hard drive and start of with Windows XP Pro again. How do I easily remove a Hidden Partition, A NTFS C:\ Partition, A NTFS D:\ Partition and a FAT32 F:\ Partition with a In Windows program that is free or free for a limited time? Please help I dont want to ruin my hardisk.

2. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

You can easily kill unwanted partitions....

Start
    Right Click My Computer
    Manage
    Disk Management
    on the right are all your drives and partitions
    Right Click a partition and choose delete

Do this for all unwanted partitions.
    After you have cleared D and F you can right click the one large partition and choose Format to make the space usable.

If the partitions are the only reason you want to reinstall, you don't have to do that.

You can't alter the boot partition(Windows O/S) while you are in it.It is advisable to keep the O/S in a seperate partition than the rest of your data in case you have to reinstall at a later time.

Hope this helps.

3. Rayzyn

Rayzyn Member

i think this machine is riddled with viruses and other problems. it wont shut down etc. i will do the disk merger thingy and then ill clean the disk.. and reinstall windows.

4. Rayzyn

Rayzyn Member

that sort of wasnt any help..

I want to merge the whole harddrive.. If i used a Floppy disk to format it would only do the C:\ drive wouldnt it?? Or would it erase the whole disk into 1 big one again?

5. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

If you use FDISK in Dos, and Remove the partition for each of the drive letters then once there is no partitions, create a new partition and make it the full size and that will fix it.

But FDISK will get rid of everything on there.

You could also download Parition Magic and merge the partitions in Windows.

You can download a Free 30 Day trial of Parition Magic.

CJC

6. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

If you want to kill everything on the drive you should reinstall Windows. As CJC has already stated you could use a bootable floppy with FDISK and get rid of everything.

You could also boot to your Windows CD and follow the steps for a Fresh Install of Windows. There will be an option to delete and create partitions. Delete existing partitions. Create one new partition and install Windows.

7. Rayzyn

Rayzyn Member

yeah i used Partition Magic and merged the partitions into 1. Then i dleted all data with FDISK. thanks guys you helped alot :D