1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Rename Files Based on Tags?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by dusktillafterdawn, Jan 26, 2017.

1. dusktillafterdawn

dusktillafterdawn Member

I have a folder with about a 100 MP3s. These were once part of a larger 10 CD compilation set. However, the file names are seriously screwed up. For some reason, each track as is labeled with the track number and artist name (IE: 01 - Aretha Franklin). The song title doesn't appear here as it should, but rather it's in the tag field. It's like this for all the files. Is there any way to easily batch process these and have the MP3s renamed to reflect the song name in the tag field (without having to rename everything by hand). I have TagScanner 5.1 if that helps.

Thanks!

2. Mez

Mez Active member

I haven't used any mp3 tag thing except for mp3tag for over 5 ytears. That will build file names using tag info and text. You can see a preview before you make the change. Hint make sure all tag info you are going to use is where it should be before you make the change. Some times really old mp3 have little tag info and store it all in the file name. You can do the reverse for those.

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

yeah.. same here.. don't bother with such things.. but there are literally hundreds of file batch renamer programs out in the wild.. and some are made specifically for doing this stuff.. seen other people use them.. never bothered myself.. simpler to write a script if necessary.. but whatever.. google is your friend.. cos.. Manjaro Linux .. indeed

4. Mez

Mez Active member

I guess I should have mentioned to experiment with a copy of the original files. I used tag scanner for a little while but haven't used in in a decade. Mp3tage is superior. I tend to keep all my audio and videos on the shelf and not connected to a computer. That way I don't leave that valuable data vulnerable to something my computer does. I have a vast media library so I have a few nextstar external boxes. I can slip any internal HD into the box and use it in USB mode any time I want. They can also do eSATA but that needs to be setup at boot time. When I am not using them, they sit stacked on a shelf.

You could also do this with an external drive for a much smaller library. The important part is 99% of the time your library is not accessible to your computer. You are real lucky only your tags got screwed up! What if it was the audio that got screwed up?

Half the people I know who had extensive libraries lost them due to some unforeseen danger. Yours sounds small enough to be backed up on CDs. CDs last much longer than DVDs. I would not trust DVDs to back up anything for more than a few years.