1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renamed Xboxdash.xbe foolishly. Now nothing boots. HELP! :(

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by frikoriko, Apr 12, 2007.

1. frikoriko

frikoriko Member

Very very silly I know but I did it in a moment of frustration.
    Basically I softmodded a brand new Xbox not long ago with Softmod.Installer.Deluxe.v2.0.Xbox-Hq.rar via Splinter Cell. I had EvoX installed as dashboard.

Everything worked fine except I could never load MSDashboard. It always came up with a black screen. This didn't bother much until I received my component cables. To get HDTV, the only solution was to get to the original dashboard so I foolishly renamed xboxdash.xbe to msxboxdash.xbe and also changed the EvoX.ini so it would match the new renamed file.

Now nothing boots, I get Error 13. I kept a backup of the Xbox's contents (C and E drives) on my PC after I softmodded and I tried booting EvoX via a DVD but it didn't work (I get Error 14 when I do so). Also tried loading the original Splinter Cell game but that doesn't work either.

I tried cold boot using
    - nothing in the dvd drive (error 13)
    - Original Splinter Cell game (error 13 or 14 can't remember)
    - Slayer's Disc (error 13 or 14 can't remember)
    - Evox boot disc (gives error 14)

Any solutions? I have another Xbox which is modded and another one which is softmodded exactly as the one which is messed up.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

wow, that is really messed up. Do you have a back up of your hard drive on your PC where you might have the EEPROM file? If so you can use your PC and Xboxhdm to rebuild the drive, although you will lose everything on it. You canthen use Slayer to reinstall the apps and dashboards.

You should have just used slayer to update the MS Dash and it most likely would have fixed it. You also need to set up dual boot mode next time you softmod (SID 4.5 is what to use) so that it will boot to your hacked dash (EvoX) with the power button, and your MS Dash when you use eject to start. Then if there is no link just edit your EvoX.ini file to add a link for the MS Dash xbe file so you can switch to the MS Dash (or any other for that matter) right from the main menu.

3. frikoriko

frikoriko Member

Thanks for your help.
    I spent the night trying to sort it out and I succeeded!
    Unexpectedly, Splinter Cell loaded after I tried again when I got home after work. You wouldn't believe the relief I had when I also found that the Save hacks were still on the xbox. I managed to boot up UnleashX and ftped to rename back the xbe and edit evox.ini to its initial state.

I will follow your instructions as to getting MS dashboard fixed as it's still buggered as before. Will running Slayers be okay and not mess up my softmod?

Thanks

4. steimy

steimy Active member

I would use AID 3.1 just to be safe as it is an auto installer meant to be used with softmodded systems. I think Slayer would be ok for just installing things, but no reason to take the risk now that you have it running again.

i have done this with a softmodded box, so i know you can do this. Put in slayer and use it to back up your EEPROM file to E: (i think it is where it does it) Then remember the name of the folder it tells you it will make, FTP into that folder, find the EEPROM.bin file, right click on it and choose "copy" from the menu. make a folder on your PC and paste the file into it. you should ALWAYS have a copy of your EEPROM.bin file saved to your PC when you have a softmodded system.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007