1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

renaming a file from "file.iso.exe" to "file.iso"

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Rigure, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Rigure

Rigure Guest

i have a couple of files i downloaded from the internet. the file extention is .exe
    my question is this... how do i get them to rename to .iso so that nero can grab them?
    i tried the rename it from the command prompt but it keeps telling me the syntax is wrong. "ren file.exe file.iso" is what i put in. i allso0 tried doing it from the windows side. my comp just locks up and says the window is not responding.
    the full name of the file is"Dungeon Siege cd1.iso.exe" thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2003
  2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I don't understand why, sometimes, Windows gives this problem when you try to rename files. This is very annoying.

The correct procedure should be this:
    1) run Explorer
    2) among the settings of explorer, the option 'hide file extension..' should be UNCHECKED
    3) simple-click (select) on the file you want to rename
    4) right-click (open menu)----> Rename
    5) write the new name

If you encounter some problem maybe:
    - the file is currenty loaded by some other application
    - the file has been 'mounted' (e.g. Alcohol, Daemon Tools)

What I would suggest is to flush in the toilet Explorer and install a very nice application named 'Total Commander' (former named 'Windows Commander') and which can be downloaded HERE
    http://www.ghisler.com/index.htm

This is a WONDERFUL piece of software, capable of file browsing, editing/renaming, attributes change, packing/unpacking, viewing binary files, looking into packed archives, FTP connect.. It has a very friendly two-windows interface wit a nice configurable button bar.. in one word: *THE BEST*.

With it you should be able to bypass all the problems laid by Explorer (use F6 to rename files). Try it and you won't be able to use anything else.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2003
  3. dudemagma

dudemagma Member

I am getting this trouble as well. I tried using the software you recommended, but it didn't help. In my case it's NeverwinterNights.CD3.ISO.exe at roughly 650mb.

I normally use WinRAR, which has worked before, but on this file it doesn't even give me the option to extract.

A little help here...

4. Crawfish

Crawfish Member

Use a program called WinISO. This program is an extraction for XXXiso.exe files. I know it works, because I ran into the same problem, and was lucky enough to find a fix. Try it.

5. MrSemen

MrSemen Member

@rigure, you probably have a virus bud! and if the file seems to be a reasonable size (i.e. up in the hundreds of megabytes, near 600-700MB for games), then rename it using the 5 simple steps previously mentioned by aldaco12! Then, download UltraISO (which is much better, faster, advanced, and easier-to-use than all of WinISO, CDmage, and ISOBuster combined!) and manipulate your ISO file to the way you see fit, and then either burn it from within UltraISO (using your default ASPI, which for most people these days is Ahead Nero ASPI or Adaptec EasyCD Creator ASPI) or use your favourite burning application to do so! That's it you're done! It has been 100% tested with my friend's files, but AGAIN, you SHOULD NOT be getting ISO files with an .EXE extension attached to them. Why? Because those are self-extracting files, and unless your game or software file has been compressed into a self-extracting archive using WinZIP, WinRAR, or any other similar program, then you should not have a file like Command&ConquerGeneralsCD1.iso.exe or Command&ConquerGeneralsCD1.bin.exe! That is, in the simplest way said, a VIRUS or TROJAN file, and must be scanned with your AntiVirus no matter if your AntiVirus's AutoProtect feature detected it or not. And from now on, download your files from a MORE RELIABLE source, such as IRC or Newsgroups! P2P plain simple sucks, unless you're using BitTorrent or eDonkey/eMule/Sharaeza, and know where to get the .torrent files or e2dk links ... Even then, you'd face terribly low speeds with SOME files, while with others you'd get LIGHTNING FAST speeds of 1.5 mbps ... That all depends on the number of seeds and clients! Hope that helps! ENJOY!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2004