1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renaming a File inside a RAR

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by m02a, Sep 28, 2009.

1. m02a

m02a Member

I have some RAR part files. In no.61, the iso file inside has a different name from the other parts. I checked everything, the file size, the CRC of the iso file in this part and the other parts. Everything indicates that this part is the actual part, but has the iso file in different name.

Maybe the guy who uploaded these files split up this iso, renamed the iso file, re-split up, and forgot to replace this no. 61 part when he uploaded them.

Is there a way to change the name of the iso file inside that specific part, no. 61? If so, would that allow me to extract that iso file afterward?

2. dailun

dailun Active member

I have not found a way to do this. Why not just rename the file after you extract it?

3. m02a

m02a Member

The iso file cannot be extracted. I think it's because it has a different name in the no. 61 RAR part. For example, it's ABCsos_2.iso in this rar part, while it's ABC2.iso in all other rar parts.

4. dailun

dailun Active member

OK, I missed something in your explanation.

How many .rar files are there?

Do they all follow the same naming convention?

What does the error message say EXACTLY?

If you rename the "odd" file to the name that WinRAR is bombing does it work?

If not, you need to contact the uploader and have him post the missing file.

5. m02a

m02a Member

How many .rar files are there?

- there are 68 rar files.

Do they all follow the same naming convention?

- yup, they all parts have the same name.

What does the error message say EXACTLY?

- J:\Games\Halo 3 - ODST -new- (Xbox 360)\alls-h3odst2.r62: CRC failed in alls-h3odst2.iso. The file is corrupt

If you rename the "odd" file to the name that WinRAR is bombing does it work?

- that's what I'm trying to do. I want to rename the iso file inside that rar part so that it matches the name of the iso in all other rar parts.

It's clear that the name of the iso in that part is the only problem. All things mentioned above are indicating it's the same iso but with different name, and Winrar seems to stop extracting the iso file because of the different name.

6. m02a

m02a Member

just to explain things more. The 61 file is the one who has different iso file, and yet the error says it's file 62. I'm most certainly sure that nothing is wrong with file 62.

I'm not sure why Winrar isn't saying the error in file 61!!

7. dailun

dailun Active member

The file is corrupt.

Game over. Period.

You need to have the author re-send the corrupt file.

Corrupt file an wron filename are two totally different things.

"I'm not sure why Winrar isn't saying the error in file 61!! "

Because the error isn't reflected in the source, it's reflected in the destination.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  8. m02a

m02a Member

ok I have downloaded 61 from another source and it worked. But I really wanted to know how to rename that file. Oh well...

Anyways thanks for the help dailun :)

9. dailun

dailun Active member

If I understand the question correctly,

If you had wanted to rename the .rar file you just rename it like any other windows file.

You cannot rename the resultant .iso until after it's extracted.

Renaming 1 part of the .iso such that it no longer conforms to the naming convention that was used to create the segmented .rar file will render it unusable and the extract will fail.