1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rental DVD's WONT play on toshiba laptop*WITH PowerDVD installed

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by mandroid, Feb 20, 2005.

1. brobear

brobear Guest

I don't understand why people want to mess around with the region settings for a drive. Anyone hear about AnyDVD or Region Free? Besides making the media files appear region free, they do a good job of decrypting. AnyDVD has a 3 week full function trial. http://www.slysoft.com In fact, I believe I brought this up earlier in this same thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2005
  2. brobear

brobear Guest

razzza

Required Software Downloads
    For WinDVD 6 Platinum, the following downloads are required:

DirectX 9
    Description: Mandatory
    Download DirectX 9

QuickTime Player
    Description: Mandatory for QuickTime Media Support
    Download QuickTime Player

RealPlayer
    Description: Mandatory for Real Media Support
    Download RealPlayer

Windows Media Player 9
    Description: Mandatory for Windows Media Support
    Download Windows Media Player 9 for Windows 98 Second Edition, Me, and 2000
    Download Windows Media Player 9 for Windows XP

----------------

Just in case you missed those from the install. I'm assuming you just have the trial. If not, what did InterVideo support have to say? With the trial I don't know if the short usage period would be worth any hassles of troubleshooting a system. The program is compatible with various Windows operating systems, and it actually requires the latest version of Windows Media Player with the WinDVD6 Platinum. So, I have no idea why a tech would say using Media Player would cause problems. I still view some files with Media Player and it has no effect on my other player software. I haven't toyed with it enough to see if one can lock settings that will cause problems. That is a question best asked in a Windows forum specific to Media Player problems. (Unless we're lucky enough to have a Windows guru wonder in, who knows.)

At $69.95 US, WinDVD6 Platinum is a bit pricey for a player. Personally, I like the features and don't feel I got robbed. The support is also handy for owners who have a problem. I noticed Cyberlink sells PowerDVD for the same prices, so there is no savings between the 2.

BTW, when you say you added something, it would help to know what it was. What were the codecs added you think may have been helpful in getting your player going. I find it surprising that programs such as PowerDVD and/or WinDVD6 might need additional codecs and the company not have them listed. The programs have gone through R&D and are mass marketed for the Windows users. Also, most users find no fault with the programs. You have proponents and antagonists for everything, but all in all, the programs appear to work well and without problems. I wonder if something may have happened to your particular setup that effects player functionality.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2005
  3. brobear

brobear Guest

Scubapete,

I was just reviewing the thread. I've been busy for a few days and haven't been keeping up with the forum. Thought we might have a technical discussion.

Words of yours truly:
    Scubapete's opinion:
    I guess one could say the WinDVD6 trial from InterVideo sucks. It has a 2 week limit and it only plays for 5 minutes max per title. However, the video and audio quality are good. Here's what the InterVideo site says about the trial:
    The trial version is a fully functional product with a time limitation.
    This free trial will expire 14 days from the time you install the software. Playback of DVD movies limited to a maximum of five (5) minutes per title. You can activate your free trial version to a full version any time by purchasing the product.
    WinDVD 6 automatically load in system once you reboot your computer.
    WinDVD 6 Gold and WinDVD 6 Platinum share the same download. There is no need to re-download if you wish to upgrade from WinDVD 6 Gold to WinDVD 6 Platinum or to activate the add-on packs.
    InterVideo does not provide technical support for free trial versions of its software.

-----------------

Hmmm... I thought I was part of the "pple here". I know of some other prominent members here at AD who use WinDVD6 as well. Getting down to the technical aspects, I find PowerDVD and WinDVD6 to be similar. The interface is similar, the picture quality of both appear to be good. I prefer the InterVideo, but that is mainly because of familiarity. Even the price is the same and the 2 functional levels of the app are priced the same. I have the premium retail version of both apps, so using either is no problem. Could you point out what "sucks" about WinDVD6 and what about PowerDVD makes it so much better? Also, what is PowerDVD compatible with that WinDVD6 isn't that would make it a better choice for viewing DVDs?

Depending on where one reads, there are those who like or dislike both of these apps. Personally, I've yet to find fault with either. An old fault with PowerDVD was its usurping the files of other programs. I don't find that to be happening with the latest (I think that's 6.0.1417) version on my system.

As far as WMP, I use it for Window's media files. I use DVD players for movies. I don't use movie players for Windows media nor do I try to play movies on WMP. I don't know of many people here who use WMP for watching DVD movies. It's just not a good choice for the purpose. So, I'll have to agree with you, WMP sucks for DVD movies. But WMP does have its uses.

4. razzza

razzza Member

BroBear,

As you know I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled the lot to try and fix this problem, and it did not work. I am now using powerDvd but would still like to know what the problem was, Unanswered questions bug me.

The version of windvd I am not sure, but it is stamped 99-2000. It was bundled with a computer I purchased last October. The codecs I downloaded were required to run Motorcross Madness, and were WM9codecs.exe

Brobear I' am ashamed to admit this but I have only just read the readme on the intervideo install cd which warns of some known issues, such as if it is a bundled version it will need or may need patches to make compatible, and other things such as not being able to play movies in 480 x 640 resolution. Also there are issues with something to do with intel core logic, it is necessary to install a new driver which was included on the disk but had to be installed seperately, which I was not prompted to do.

I think now that the problem was I needed to get the patches, although I did go to the site and search for updates I mustve got the wrong ones, the player is a tad old I think and I do need to probably update to windvd platinum, I reckon it will "fit" my system and all known bugs have been ironed out for my particular graphics and sound card etc.

will download trial and see what comes of it.

Later BroBear and thanks

5. brobear

brobear Guest

Razzza

Sounds like you may have come on your own solution. An older OEM version which was incomplete. It would have had to be WinDVD5 or older. Unfortunately, the trial for the WinDVD6 player only plays for 5 minutes per title; but that should be long enough to see if it is functioning properly. Unless you've just been using the PowerDVD trial and haven't purchased it, I wouldn't advise paying $69.95 for another player. As mentioned, I have both WinDVD6 and PowerDVD and find them comparable. I only favor WinDVD6 because I've had it longer and am more familiar with it. Unless you've had a problem with your Windows installation, WinDVD6 should work. Just remember to read all the requirements and install any software you need according to instructions.

BTW, you're welcome. Glad to be of assistance.