1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reorganizing the forum rooms - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by dRD, Jun 17, 2014.

1. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

As we have finally switched to xenForo, I think it is time for us to reorganize our forum rooms, too.

I personally feel that we should reduce the number of forum rooms significantly. We currently have 71 open forum rooms and I'm thinking about reducing that down to 25.

Our old strongholds, like digital video, have become much less important in modern world, where video editing and encoding has become a niche hobby and there's very few posts going to those areas. Merging all or most of the video-related topics under one or two forum rooms would be a major step towards making the forums cleaner / easier to understand.

I have two goals for this project:
    • to keep each forum room broad enough to attract at least handful of new threads each month
    • to have broad-enough forums and forums named in a way that every new user could easily decide where to post her question, without having to decide between two (or more) forum rooms
    Thoughts?

Jayem_tee, Stein & Partners and nimd4 like this.
  2. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

Even 25 seems to be a bit much boss, but this is certainly something we have to do. It is very hard to find where to post, or find information with current 71 room setup.

dRD likes this.
  3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I sent this to Ketola back in 2012 (I thought it was 6 months ago, where does time go?!), but this was my then-imagined mock-up for the forum re-launch that was being discussed at the time.

http://i.imgur.com/UNkTy.png

To build on this now we're in a position to do so, I would suggest the following further consolidations:

Something like that.

nimd4 and dRD like this.
  4. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

Hey Jack, I think we will need a little bit more than those, but that is very close to what I was envisioning as well.

nimd4 and Ripper like this.