1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

repair or buy new desktop?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by BIGTOXY69, May 14, 2007.

1. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

I have a Emachines W2040- thats a few years old 1gb memory ,2 dvd burners Nec-3500A& 2500A 4o GB haed drive (C) original to computer, 160 GB slave/(D) drive It has been acting crazy -locking up , mouse freezing , not responding to the on off button , Now does'nt boot at all hard drive light does'nt come on , and cant gear the fan working ! MY question is does it sound like it's worth saving ? I mean if you factor in labor plus parts ? if it could cost me more than say a couple of hundred ? I could practicaly buy a new one that's faster , more capalbe and has more hard drive space ! I,m not much of a gamer other than Tumblebugs and will use the computer for dvd burning , web suring, & some slight photo manipulation ! - and I think I could manage with a new desktop in the $500.00 range? what do y'all think ? Thank you & sorry for the earlier post in the wrong place my apologies to all on that one CIAO!

2. onya

onya Guest

Loud clicking noises are an indication of a drive passing on to the next. Hows the PSU? Does it look dirty at the rear of the pc? Burnt components have that certain acrid odour...is this so? Your cpu may be overheating, have you checked the cooling fan condition? Either way it sounds salvageable. (fingers crossed)

3. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

retried computer can hear the fan whirring but light around power button is not on hdd activity light stayed on foer a few minutes then went out nothing on screen period!

4. onya

onya Guest

If you can get to the bios, try to enable the on board graphics, rather than (i assume) using your current agp card. One last attempt would be to remove a RAM stick (if you have more than one) then retry, if this brings no joy, replace it and remove another. Continue until these modules are discounted from the problem.

I really don't know how to test for malfunctions on a motherboard, and at this point have only suggested basic analysis. Hopefully additional help is on it's way from a more experienced member(s).

PS: Nice to see another old bloke (like me) participating in these forums. :)

Cheers.

5. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

onya- Thanks for the suggestions ! Have a couple of days to sort it out ! may follow tour suggestions ! though I don't think it's Bad memory ? I could be wrong ? will post whatever I find out or decide ! & again thanks

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  6. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

was able to rescue some data from from my desktops hard drive ! put in usb enclosure & saved what I wanted to laptop & deleted a lot as well ? Have decided to take it to the shop for estimate $39.99 TO diagnose Whats wrong So I can decide whether to fix or not ? Thanks Onya for your help ! Will post outcome regardless! CIAO!

7. onya

onya Guest

I'd really appreciate it, and thanks also.

Cheers.

8. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

OKay Brought the desktop into my local shop ! For the estimate and they got back to me the same day ( 05/17/2007) TodaY ! The Technician called to give the Good/Bad news ? Bad news Is the Power supply & motherboard are history !!! He said Emachines tend to due that ! If I understood him right ? What he said was Basically the Power supply went bad & That Blew The motherboard !!! Good news is I can get the repair Done for About $240.00 New motherboard & Power supply , Labor and tax !!!! I was contemplting a new unit in the $500.00 range so this is almost half that !!! Also Most of the newer units are all loaded with Vista ( Operating system ) which I don't really want ! Xp Does me just Fine !!! So I gave him the go ahead on the repairs ! He also said last year he had a whole lot of Emachines in the shop with the same problem ! Hey If I Get a Few more years out of the Old Girl ( Computer not wife ) LOL! It's worth it ! As for the wife I'm looking forward to the long haul with her ! Will I fix it again ( Repair not Upgrade ) Probaly not if it's the same problem ? would'nt be cost effective ? Besides if it last atleast as long with the new Motherboard & PS by them time it craps out again it'll be an antique Technology wise ! Next computer will have multiple core processors whatever I buy or have built ! anyways Again thanks for your help & suggestions Onya !!!And Have a good night CiaO!!!!!

9. onya

onya Guest

Hey to BIGTOXY69...

This almost fits what I originally thought. I'm happy with the result but not......
    I was warned sometime ago, about my "current" PSU. The advice was not to trust what I had, but to invest in a quality unit

This can't be good for business....LOL

I think you made the right choice 'TOXY ;)

"onya laughs out loud and wishes you both the best" Heheheh.

So there we go BIGTOXY, it was worth saving afterall....or maybe Afterdawn...LMAO.

Either way this rig was worth saving, and is no more of an antique than mine...just look at at my sig...LOL

All the best BIGTOXY69!

Cheers buddy.