1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Repair - Some Pro knows the solution?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by 9hnlb, Oct 1, 2011.

1. 9hnlb

9hnlb Member

Hi there,

So, lately I had to carry out a WinXp repair manually after an error stating
    "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM".

I followed these steps:

..was successful..
    and after installed GFX card drivers.
    Then since a new user account was being created I edited the User Profile Registry Key:

support.microsoft.com/kb/314045

..and my User Account is restored (sort of)

NOW:

- In Add/Remove Programs I only have 4 or 5 programs listed! (nVidia drivers are 2 of them)

- Half of the programs won't work from shortcuts ie. Desktop & Start Menu, giving an error "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed"

- And for example opening Ms Word 2003 from Program Files: Program opens but gives error "Microsoft Office has not been installed for the current user", and Ms Word closes.

- Java and NET Framework for example are missing too, msi installer dont work either.

- Some programs work well & kept my settings.

I think there's something in the registry affecting all the programs, setups. Somthing global.
    Format is out of the question (i dont mind installing a no of programs) but I've had loads of programs I use installed.
    PS. Luckily I've got Linux Ubuntu installed as well

Thanks! Much Appreciated

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  2. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

You have to be very careful and knowledgeable when editing the registry. Not for the faint of heart. Always have a recent partition/disk backup before experimenting.

Somehow config.sys was deleted, corrupt or the registry is just plain FOOBAR. Very critical .sys file for booting the PC side.

"Java and NET Framework for example are missing too, msi installer dont work either."

That tells me it is the registry.

At this point you need to restore to an earlier working backup.

Jeff

3. 9hnlb

9hnlb Member

Thanks a lot for the reply Jeff, I know the registry is somehow in a poor condition right now, but since the system file (in System32) was corrupted I was forced to do so as I couldn't get my PC working/booting ..not what you call experimenting.

My fault I didn't make a recent HD image/clone. IF I'll manage to find some solution to get my pc working i'll post it here ;)

4. attar

attar Senior member

Is there no 'Restore Point' available.