1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Repairing a corrupted excel file

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by ReynoldStephens, Oct 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReynoldStephens

ReynoldStephens Newbie

I have a corrupted excel file that i need to open as there is no back up of it. I have 2007 office enterprise installed and the file format is xlsx.
    HELP!

2. UrsulaWells

UrsulaWells Newbie

When an Excel file is corrupted, then you can try several methods to recover it:

1. (Free Method) There are free tools from third-parties that can open and read Microsoft Excel files, for example, Excel Repair Toolbox. For more info: https://www.repairtoolbox.com/excelrepair.html

2.(Free Method) If method 1 fails, there are still several methods to recover your Excel file manually with Excel, including writing a small VBA macro, as below

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...a99631acf0b/how-to-repair-file-me?forum=excel

3. (Free Method). You can try to repair the file manually in Excel, as follows:

(1) On the File menu, click Open.
    (2) In the Open dialog box, select the file you want to open, and click the arrow next to the Open button.
    (3) Click Open and Repair, and then choose which method you want to use to recover your workbook.

Sometimes when Excel fails to open your file, these tools may be able to open it successfully. If that is the case, then after the Excel file is opened, you can just save it as a new file which will be error-free.

Good luck!

ReynoldStephens likes this.
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

does your other excel files open alright?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.