1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement DVD drive; retail or bare drive?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by mperfect, Apr 2, 2007.

1. mperfect

mperfect Member

I've found a great difference in pricing between retail boxed, and online bare drives. Anyone have experience with bare drives? Any differences aside from not having manuals, software and cables? Manuals and firmware updates are available online anyway.

Thanks,

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i've had no problem with the bare drives i get from my supplier but they do come with software if is a burner.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Maybe not so for firmware updates for some burners- HP for example, LOL.

Since it's a replacement drive,you probably already got your cables-80 wire/40 pin. You probably already got your software-those nero6 oem discs are very handy. Then there's the box which you may want to keep around. Some drives will give you a different colored face plate/tray cover like Plextor.

I had no trouble with bare drives,except they were Benqs-which are very scarce,but a hell of a burner.

Make sure it's a quality drive:

Plextor
    Benq-If you can find the 1640A/1650A/1655A-I'm uncertain how I'll get my future fw updates for my 5 benqs.Benq= Rest In Peace!
    Lite-on
    LG
    NEC
    Pioneer

I haven't kept track of how much they are running now,but my last couple bare drives were well under $40 along with free shipping from newegg.com