1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement DVD/MOD Chip/HDD

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by dumbintel, Apr 2, 2007.

1. dumbintel

dumbintel Member

So my girlfriends brother happened to have an xbox laying around, which the DVD doesn't work on (it tries reading, but it says dirty or scratched disk). I wanted to replace the HDD and the DVD and add an xecutor3 or some other mod chip preferably cheaper, not sure which ones are decent (Just need the chip to play backups from HDD, XBMC, emu's and roms and other simple tasks.)

Now here are my questions:
    1) To install the mod-chip do I need an original dvd drive, if so should I just buy a laser, and replace his. If not, can you guys give me a link to how to install some other dvd drive or let me know if there is a solution in these forums?
    2) Which mod-chip meets the specs I mentioned above and is cheap? (Solderless please)
    3) Finally, replacing the HDD can I use any size drive? (meaning 500 gigs, etc)

Thank you in advance!

2. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

get the modchip, install it, replace the dvd drive and hard drive at the same time, and just run an autoinstaller like Slayers evoX autoinstaller 2.7 and format the hard drive and enjoy.

3. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

if you want also you could just softmod the xbox and buy a new dvd drive off ebay(thompson brand new like 35.00), and buy the hdd, and install, little more tricky but still pretty simple. and you can still use the auto installer to install dashboards and emulators.

4. theridges

theridges Guest

get the mod chip much better deal a lot easier....
    i have a used DVD Drive from one of my xbox's im trying to sell i will sell it for $25 shipped :)
    its a thompson drive :)