1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing laptop screen with touch screen

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Leafjerky, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Leafjerky

Leafjerky Member

Hey guys, I have a laptop that's recently been "decommissioned" since the cheap plastic frame cracked and rendered its folding powers useless. I wanted to do something cool with it so I've decided to repurpose it to become my on board diagnostics readout in my vehicle. I am going to design and 3d print a frame to bolt into my cubby. The challenge is that I want a touchscreen. I currently only have a 15.6 LCD (LP156WH4). I see that it uses LVDS connection. Do touch screens use the same? What touch screen could I buy online and wire to the computer itself? I plan on bolting the computer under the passenger seat and running the wiring underneath the molding with an on/off switch for when I don't want it to boot up. Thanks for ANY help you can give me! Cheers, -David.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

I think the touch screen circuitry has to be part of the motherboard originally unless you buy 3rd party touch screen adapters that goes over a regular screen & plugs into I presume the usb port.