1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing My Internal CD Writer/Reader With An External CD/DVD Writer/Reader?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Seclusive, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Seclusive

Seclusive Guest

Is it possible?

I have a really nice LG External CD/DVD writer/reader, and the internal drive in my PC only writes/reads Cd's and only reads DVD's... so I was wondering if it was possible to somehow take apart my external and replace the internal with it.

I'm getting a nice chunk of taxes back and I'm customizing a very cheap Dell Inspiron 531 as my base and upgrading everything, and while I was at it, was just wondering if this was possible.

Thank you for all and any feedback.

2. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

You can, if they're both IDE or SATA. But a new internal drive is only about $30 or so so why not keep it as an external?

3. Seclusive

Seclusive Guest

They can seriously run for that cheap? Man, I should of looked up the prices of them before posting. I guess it just blew by me.

And they are both SATA actually. Maybe I can just hook it up to my old shitty back-up PC and get a new one.

Are there any reccomendations you may have for a good Read & Write DVD/CD drive? I'll look around online for something with some reviews as well. The more feedback, the better i guess.

Thanks for replying.