1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing old CD-R with DVD-RW

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by RailAce, Sep 8, 2007.

1. RailAce

RailAce Guest

Hi there,
    Please forgive this simple question but I have been fed one too many 'opinions' for my liking.
    Here is my current situation:
    I have a Dell Dimension 2400, with a 2.4G Celeron processor and 512M of RAM.
    I have 2 drive bays, one has a CD-ROM and the other a CD-RW.
    I have 2 LG external DVD-RW connected thru USB.

I want to know if I went out and bought 2 DVD-RW (internal), could I remove my 2 CD drives and simply plug the new DVD-RW in? Would I need new ribbon cables or will the old ones do?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

R

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

You can simply replace your internals, they should be plug-n-play. Some people recommend replacing the data ribbons, but I don't think it is necessary unless you are having problems. You might want to add another stick of 512 RAM while you have your case cracked open...the more the better. The main thing to watch for when replacing the drives is to set your jumper pins correctly (master/slave) to avoid pulling your hair out.

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Newer DVD burners use the 80 wire/ 40 pin ribbon cable for better transfer of data. Your older CD drives more than likely have the older 40 wire/ 40 pin ribbon cables. Replace it/them with a n 80 wire/ 40 pin connector.