1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing water cooling to better water cooling

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ov3rk1ll, Feb 28, 2009.

1. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

I got the wildfire heatsink put it on my motherboard, (great fit) played left4dead for 1 hour, boom, it crashed again. btw I dont think its my motherboard because I touched the heatsink on the wildfire and it seems warm not hot like i expected it to be, (i dont remember how hot it was on the original heatsink)

So Its not the motherboards heat issue.

I still think its the graphics card since its the hottest thing in there, my cpu is water cooled and is at 38 degrees C, I wana attach the graphics card along with it.

Is there anything else you can suggest or can you suggest any water cooling parts? I already got the waterblock for the graphics card, Can you suggest parts for my.

CPU

a good sort of tubeing

and whatever you call those things that connect the waterblock to the tubes

a radiator

and a good pump

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm still unconvinced it's the card's cooling at fault. What case and PSU do you have?

3. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

I have the cosmos 1000 case and the antec quattro 850 watt true power psu

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nothing there I wouldn't say is adequate, but can you try another PSU to be sure?

5. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

What's the minimum wattage you want me to try?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With only one X2, a 650W will do fine, as long as it's a quality unit like a Corsair.

7. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

I got a thermaltake 750 watt, ill give that a try

8. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

thermaltake 750 watt was fried, bios said no power is feeding through the graphics card, (this psu was inside my pc when I dropped coolant accidentaly on my old 7950gx2, 2 bad i didnt have the non conducting coolant. Never used the 750 since then

I went to the store and bought the Corsair 1000HX, I didnt want the 650 because I have 4 HDs 1 CD 1 4870x2 a m/b Corsair Dominator RAM 4G and 4 fans and a nautilus 500

Will give results of crashing soon

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You just threw away a lot of money. I ran the exact same system you listed but with air cooling and an Intel Quad core (heavily overclocked though) off a 520W HX. No joke, it ran fine for the whole time I had it. I only upgraded when I added a second X2.

10. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

its not about the money, its about checking just to make sure wattage isnt a problem, and guess what, it isn't I tested playing Crysis Warhead this time and boom crashed after 6 minutes. Im starting to assume its the RAM, and mabye a memtest86 would prove it, or the entire motherboard is crapped out, and i should just go with a high end asus board.

What do you think?

11. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

i did 6 Passes on memtest86 and no errors have show up, So the ram insnt the problem

it cant be the
    -ram
    -psu
    -hds (obviously)
    -CDD (duh)
    -motherboard heating up
    -cpu heating up

The only thing I can think of so far is the
    -gfx overheating
    -gfx corrupted or broken
    -motherboard is broken
    -or processor is corrupt

Can anyone suggest anything else? im returning the 1000watt and going back to the 850 soon

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You've tried various different drivers?
    At the moment, I'm tempted to say faulty card, what brand is it? (Powercolor, Sapphire, HIS etc.)

13. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

What drivers are you talking about? which drivers do you want me to try? I have a Diamond 4870x2

14. GenesisX

GenesisX Member

Why don't you try feeding your CPU a bit more vCore? You never know; the CPU could just be a bad batch. Crysis being such a big CPU eater can just push the CPU over the limit. I guess you can set it, and lock it at a vCore as high as possible (as high as AMD recommends).

- Checked, highest vCore that AMD recommends is 1.3V (9850). Try going into the BIOS and setting it there. If it reboots, BSOD occurs or freezing occurs, we know that it probably has nothing to do with the CPU; unless the CPU you bought was the worst of the worst!

Try it out! And tell us what you discovered...

GenesisX

15. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

Thanks for joining in and helping out. I checked my bios and the vcore is currently on 1.304, do you want me to push past that? how do I push it past 1.3?

16. GenesisX

GenesisX Member

Oh, in that case, never mind then =D. You aren't overclocking, so that's good... Do you have any other video cards handy? Why don't you try one? Integrated graphics? Anything? It's good to see if it is actually your video card? Or did you guys already prove that it is already?

EDIT: I thought you that you can actually over volt it... For instance, I can push my 2180 over its VID, which is 1.55V to even 1.7. Man, I really need to find a vDroop location for my motherboard!!! Stupid P5K-SE

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  17. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

yea its not overclocked, in fact, i just used amd overdrive 2.15 to overclock my processor, and i used the autotune feature and it does nothing more then freeze the entire pc, i dont know what i was doing wrong, but i thinking i probably forgot to do something before i started autotune.

but as of now, I dont have an integrated gfx, and im only using a 4870x2, my brother does have a 5500fx gfx from nvidia, but its super old and slow, and will run none of the games I currently have, this is really starting the became a pain in the ass

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The FX5500 wouldn't fit anyway, it's AGP.
    Go to the AMD website and go to support -> download graphics drivers and get a more recent version. That may help. However, at the moment I'm set on faulty GPU or Motherboard (You'd be surprised how many motherboards aren't up to the job of running X2s)

19. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

actually fx5500 is pci, ati catalyst 9.3 came out 4 days ago, im going to give this a try and see what happens.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wow, even older then!