1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing water cooling to better water cooling

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ov3rk1ll, Feb 28, 2009.

1. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

tried the newest version of catalyst 9.3 and it does the same thing on crysis warhead. Im going to try to return my gfx and get the exact same one, and if that dosent solve it, then my motherboard, and if that dosent solve it, commiting suicide might be next

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Right, yeah try return for the GPU, then the board (in that order as the GPU is easier to swap out). Bad luck, but stick with it. :)

3. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

OK I just recently purchased a 4890 from diamond and I tried it out, surprisingly it runs everything pretty smooth on Crysis AND it also fixed the crashing problems I have been experiencing, So it seems like my graphics card is defective, I will go and get it replaced from the warranty I have and borrow the 4890 from the store for a while and swap it out with other ones in the store for now.

But that still leads to one question, Since I already have the waterblock for my 4870x2 Can you suggest what other parts I should get to go with the custom water system I still want to build =D?

I need:
    tubes
    radiator
    waterblock for my 9850 phenom black edition
    pump
    reservoir

^^
    Can I get a suggestion from anyone?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, a Thermochill Rad, D-Tek pump, Swiftech Apogee block and XSPC rad would be my recommendations, but while WC'ing the CPU may not be a bad idea, I assure you, you don't NEED to watercool a 4870X2 unless you want the noise down.

5. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

having the noise down would be fantastic, i would the computer to be silent but deadly...

I found this site that sells the pump

http://www.jab-tech.com/dB-1-Compact-12v-Pump-pr-3758.html#buynow

But its asking mre for a barb size... what sizeshould i be getting? im lost with this whole fittings barbs and tubings part

And another thing that happend was that, when I was playing crysis with my case closed without having the fan at 100%, it crashed for the first time after 45 minutes of playing.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Quarter inch ideally. So you're saying you still get crashes with a different card?

7. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

yep, it didnt crash with the fan at 100% and case open for 4 hours, it didnt crash with the fan in dynamic and case open, but it did crash after 45 minutes playing with the case closed and fan on dynamic (dynamic meaning the computer controlls the fan no me)

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It sounds more like a chipset overheat problem to me.

9. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

it crashed playing demigod for 2 hours with the case closed, how is my chipset over heating? didnt we just install the new heatsink? what should i do? replace my m/b it crashes less then before possibly because this gfx generates heat less then my 4870x2, but its still crashing, and its very annoying. Can I get more suggestions please? So it cant be my gfx, if I had my custom watercooling system ready then i bet that the overheating problem would be gone since all the heat is transfered out of my case, correct?

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It could be a chipset bandwidth problem. I've had boards in the past that were unstable due to the graphics cards I installed. You could try a different motherboard. Not a particularly easy fix, but chipset cooling having been replaced, the card changed, it's either drivers (use catalyst 9.3 or 9.4, you shouldn't have any stability problems, I don't), Power supply, or the motherboard.

11. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

It can't be drives because I had 9.2 9.3 and the latest version and it crashed it can't bey gfx since I switched it out it can't bey mb overheating because I bought the wildfire heatsink and it can't be my psu because I replaced I with my 1000 watt corsair and it can't bey ram because I did a memtest86

So your saying Its my motherboard that I should replace?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

9.2 was bloody awful. 9.3 is stable though.
    On the basis of the other issues I'd try changing the board.

13. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

just recently my pc crashed and windows booted up showing this

Check for ATI Graphics Driver updates

This problem was caused by ATI Graphics Driver, which was created by ATI Technologies, Inc.. There is no solution for this problem at this time.

Troubleshooting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A driver update, if available, might prevent this problem from recurring.

What is a driver?

A driver is software that allows your computer to communicate with hardware or devices. Without drivers, the hardware you connect to your computer (for example, a video card or a webcam) will not work properly.

There are several ways of locating and installing driver updates, but it is best to let Windows do this for you. Try the first step below, which describes the process. If it doesn't produce a driver update that solves the problem, then try the remaining steps in the order given.

Check for optional third-party updates

Even if all critical updates have been installed on your computer, optional updates might be available for ATI Graphics Driver that have yet to be installed. Here's how to use Windows Update to check for and install optional driver updates:

Open Windows Update:

Windows Update

In the left pane, click Check for updates to see if there are any optional updates available for your computer.

If no new optional updates are available, go to step 2.

If optional updates are available, click View available updates (if you do not see this option, you might have to click Check online for updates from Microsoft Update).

Windows Update or Microsoft Update will list any updated drivers that are available for devices installed in your computer.

Select any optional updates that are listed (especially if they appear to be graphics related), and then click Install. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Try updating ATI Graphics Driver manually

If no optional PRODUCT_NAME updates were available in Windows Update, you can try updating ATI Graphics Driver manually.

Note
    It's best to let Windows install drivers for your hardware automatically, as described in step 1 above.

If you decide to manually update ATI Graphics Driver, here's how to do it:

Click to open Device Manager. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In Device Manager, double-click Display adapters, and then double-click the name of the device running ATI Graphics Driver.

Click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver.

When asked how you want to search for driver software, click Search automatically for updated driver software.

Windows will locate and install a new driver if one is available.

Check the ATI Technologies, Inc. website for driver updates

If no optional ATI Graphics Driver updates were available in Windows Update, go online to the following website to check for driver updates:

ATI Technologies, Inc.

How to manually update a driver using a downloaded file

Click to open Device Manager. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In Device Manager, locate the device you want to update, and then double-click the device name.

When asked how you want to search for driver software, click Browse my computer for driver software.

Click Browse, locate where you placed the new driver on your computer, click OK, and then click Next. Windows will locate and install the new driver.

Note
    If you are running the latest version of ATI Graphics Driver and are still experiencing the problem, we recommend that you contact ATI Technologies, Inc. or the manufacturer for additional information and support.

Check your computer manufacturer's website for driver updates

If ATI Graphics Driver was preinstalled on your computer, check your computer manufacturer's website for driver updates.

How do I find my computer manufacturer?

Click the Start button , type msinfo32 in the Search box, and then press ENTER. Your computer manufacturer is listed as the System Manufacturer in the right pane of the System Information window.

Click to go online to see contact information for most computer manufacturers

How to manually update a driver using a downloaded file

In Device Manager, locate the device you want to update, and then double-click the device name.

When asked how you want to search for driver software, click Browse my computer for driver software.

Click Browse, locate where you placed the new driver on your computer, click OK, and then click Next. Windows will locate and install the new driver.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Completely uninstall all ATI software then install the driver again.

15. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

I did that when I installed the 4890 I can do I again for the he'll of it. Which version do you want me to install?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Try 9.3 for Vista, 9.4 for XP, as I have tested both of those and know them to work.

17. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

9.3 isn't out for 4890, the drivers are separated from 4800 and 4890

18. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's the next thing I'd suggest.

20. ov3rk1ll

ov3rk1ll Member

Ok I will return my gfx and get a get an asus m/b with a good heat dispassion ability.