1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resetting iPod if it appears frozen or doesn't respond- Guide

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Doggy_Bot, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Doggy_Bot

Doggy_Bot Guest

To reset an iPod with a Click Wheel, including:

iPod mini
    iPod mini (Second Generation)
    iPod with color display (iPod photo)
    iPod (Click Wheel)
    iPod nano
    Fifth Generation iPod (also known as iPod with video)

1) Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
    2) Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

Tip: If you are having difficulty resetting your iPod, set it on a flat surface. Make sure the finger pressing the Select button is not touching any part of the click wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Menu button toward the outside of the click wheel, and not near the center.

If the above steps did not work, try connecting iPod to a power adapter and plug the power adapter into an electrical outlet, or connect iPod to your computer. Make sure the computer is turned on and isn't set to go to sleep.
    To reset iPod, iPod (scroll wheel), iPod (touch wheel), and iPod (dock connector)

1) Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
    2) Press and hold the Play/Pause and Menu buttons until the Apple/iPod logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.
    If the above steps did not work, try connecting iPod to a power adapter and plug the power adapter into an electrical outlet, or connect iPod to your computer. Make sure the computer is turned on and isn't set to go to sleep.

If you are still unable to reset your iPod, use only one finger from one hand to press the Select button, and one finger from the other hand to press the Menu button.

When you reset iPod all your music and files are saved, but some customized settings may be lost. Date and time is preserved (unless the iPod reset itself because it had no power and then was reconnected to power). Other customized settings, such as Bookmarks, On-The-Go Playlists, Shuffle, Backlight timer, and so forth are preserved from the last time the hard drive turned on.

To reset iPod shuffle:

1) Disconnect iPod shuffle from the computer (if connected).
    2) Move the switch on the back of iPod shuffle to the off position.

Tip: When iPod shuffle is off, the green stripe by the switch is not visible.

3) Wait 5 seconds.
    4) Move the switch on the back to the play in order or the shuffle position. The green stripe will be visible in either position.

The iPod shuffle is now reset. If after resetting iPod shuffle you are going to attach it to your computer, be sure place the switch in the off position. If you were resetting as part of some troubleshooting steps, continue with those steps now.

2. NicolaDC

NicolaDC Guest

I have a 4th gen 20gig Ipod and I cannot get the wheel to do anything.
    I followed the instruction on the apple web site, tried to reset it, restore it, reloaded the software on the ipod and it is now stuck on the "language" choice screen, I cannot get past it. When I connect it the my pc, all appears OK, I can see the ipod content and all, but cannot get past the above mentioned screen.
    BTW I purchased it on Dec 8th, 2004.

Thank you for your help.

Nick

3. ironslug

ironslug Member

Nicola
    Samething happend to me just i got a iPod Video
    turn on hold then of press menu and middle circle until it restarts
    good luck

4. NicolaDC

NicolaDC Guest

Ironslug, Thank you.

Tried your suggestion numerous times. Still nothing.

5. fylm

fylm Member

I have the same EXACT problem as Nicola up there. Works perfectly when attached to a computer (Mac or PC), but when removed only shows language menu, and doesn't respond to button actions. Will not reset, reboot, or anything else. The only difference is that mine is the 40 gig (instead o' the 20) Any Ideas?
    ------->FYL