1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resizing a DVD

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by steedizzi, Mar 5, 2005.

1. steedizzi

steedizzi Member

Okay, so here's my problem. I have a burned DVD movie that I want to resize. The movie should be in 2.35:1, but it is streched into 1.85:1 mode on the DVD (it has the black bars, but they are the small ones, and the video still looks streched). The DVD is all I have to work with (no .avi files or anything), so I would like to find out the quickest method of resizing the video files and re-burning onto another DVD. I would like to do as little conversion as possible, and I already have the .vob files on my hard drive. Sorry I had to post, but all the guides and the other posts that I have found offer ways of resizing when converting format, but that would be a lot of busy work. Thanks.

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

To resize it, you'll have to re-encode it. There's NO way around it.

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

If you think you can do it just By Changeing the aspect ratio then you can try a program called "DVD Patcher" which you can use to Patch the header in the VOB files to a different aspect ratio....

I believe that you will actually have to resize the Images frame and not aspect ratio so in this Case you are going to have to re-encode the file...I suggest you use the Best encoder you can get your Hands on because re-encodeing an allready Highly Compressed File will invariably cause the Quality to become degraded so the Best encoder you can use will help lessen the ammount Quality Loss you encur.....

Cheers

4. steedizzi

steedizzi Member

Thanks for the response guys. I ended up using doom9's guide to convert the vobs into an XviD .avi file (the guide here is unusable because I couldn't get VFAPIConvert to recognize the DVD2avi files. I used version 1.05 of VFAPIConvert because try as I might, I could not find an older version online). After using Auto Gordian Knot to create the .avi (largest size file that the program would do) I followed the guide here to use TMPGEnc to create an mpeg from the avi. It was during this step that I selected 16:9 mode and (under the advanced menu) "Full Screen (keep aspect ratio)". Used 2-Pass VBR and Highest Quality motion search. Finally, after IFOEdit and Nero, I had the new, unstreched DVD. It does not look very different from the original quality-wise, so I hope that anyone else with this rare problem will find this message board helpful.

5. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

That's the long way to go about it.
    I would have ripped the video using ReJig in file mode, or DVD Decrypter in file mode.
    Load the m2v and mp2/mpa/ac3 into tmpgenc and go from there.
    Ripping to a compressed avi, and then re-encoding from that, you lose too much quality, as well as time.

6. cerver7

cerver7 Member

i agree w/ ^

i would have ripped using decrypt.....then re-authored in ifoedit and changed the size there.....very veyr qucik and simple, without the loss of quality.