1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

resolution and bitrate

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by zanzib, Mar 6, 2003.

1. zanzib

zanzib Member

Sorry if this displays too much ignorance.

Having ripped sections of DVD to mpeg1 using your DVD to VCD guide I find that the clip looks great at the default size that the .avi player opens it up at. However if I make it full screen the resolution drops dramatically and the picture looks fuzzy. To get a better full screen picture do I need to increase the bitrate or change the resolution. If it is one of these then how do I do it?

I also get a problem that the audio levels are dramatically reduced during conversion (I guess as a result of the down mixing in DVD2AVI). Can this be compensated for? Do I simply need to boost the audio levels in TMPGEnc or is there another way?

If I want to take more control and use the manual settings of TMPGEnc is there a way of doing it without the wizard that will still let be select a section of a ripped file to convert as a clip to insert into a presentation?

Sorry for so may questions. The more I do the more questions I have. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

With VCD, there's no way to improve the video quality other than by using the motion search precision at TMPGEnc's encoding settings at slowest (best quality) settings. Other than that, VCD doesn't allow other bitrates other than the constant 1150kbps bitrate and resolution of 352x240/288.

But don't worry, due the nature of the PC monitor, you see the problems easily on your computer than you would on TV when you play the video file with your DVD player (TV "smoothes" the picture and normally you watch the TV further away from the screen than your PC).

But if you aren't happy with the VCD quality, your next step is to get into SVCDs, provided that your DVD player supports the format (luckily, almost all modern players do).

Simply by boosting the audio levels by couple of percent at TMPGEnc.

If you have a readily-done VCD, you can cut the wanted parts by using TMPGEnc's MPEG Tools and the cut option from there to make clips for your presentation. But if you only wish to encode part of the ripped DVD into a VCD, follow our ripping guide, but add a one more filter in the settings page -- Frame range -- that will allow you to select the frames you wish to encode.