1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resolution Problem

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by matlamont, Sep 22, 2007.

1. matlamont

matlamont Member

Hi, im converting a avi file to PAL dvd Using mainconcept.

The resolution of the avi is 800 x 432.

I use a bitrate calculator to determing the correct resolution for the dvd. It says, resize to 720 x 415 then expand frame and letterbox to 720 x 576.

I input this to mainconcept and look at it on the preview screen and its not right so, i cropped 80 off either side in mainconcept to get it right but im not sure if this is correct?

Thanks in advance

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

I've found MC's preview window to be almost useless. Let it convert a little then stop the conversion and open the new file in your media player to view it.

Your source appears to be 1.85:1.

If you choose not to set the height to 415 in MC you'll need some adjustments. Setting MC to 415 and 4:3 should produce correct AR with bars top and bottom. Setting MC to 16:9 and leaving the height at 576 will produce a WS vid (no bars) that will be very slightly off. A 12 trim on both sides should correct it. Or if you want all the video you can set the height in MC to 552 (576-24=552) which will give you very small bars which are found on 1:85 vids.

It sounds like you are setting MC for 4:3 at 576. Your WS source is being converted to FS in MC, if trimming off the sides makes it look right. Assuming your source to be 1.85:1, your 80 side trims sound about right for FS (4:3).

I can show you some rather convoluted math on how 80 and 12 work.

You should always convert to 16:9 regardless of what TV you have, unless black bars bother you, as proper AR will then be maintained on both 4:3 and 16:9 sets.

3. matlamont

matlamont Member

Thanks Mystice, i trimmed 80 off and it did the trick.

I would appriciate if you showed me how 80 and 12 work

thanks mat