1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resolved - Upgrade XBox HD While Fixing Clobbered Dash?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by owenkun, Feb 19, 2007.

1. owenkun

owenkun Member

Hey, everyone. I wanted to propose the following and see if it's a valid line of thinking.

I have (had?) a soft-modded XBox (retail drive) with the EvoX dash installed. While it worked fine for some time, dunderheadedness on my part managed to format my partitions, wiping out my MS Dash in the process. This also caused error #14 when starting without a disc in the drive.

Whoops.

In searching I'd discovered that, given my circumstances, performing a hot swap and replacing the dashboard with downloaded files would probably be my best and only bet. While my original dashboard files are gone, one thing I do have is my eeprom backup.

Thus, I'd like to know if the following is possible:

Since I need to reformat and reinstall my XBox's hard drive anyway, and given that I have a valid eeprom backup for that XBox, wouldn't it be possible for me to perform a hard drive upgrade (using a 160GB drive I already own) using traditional methods to load the MS Dash onto the larger hard drive and just replace the 'broken' hard drive I have now with one that's been re-locked and the default dash installed?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

2. owenkun

owenkun Member

For what it's worth, I decided to start with a 'stable base,' as it were, and fix the setup of my stock drive first.

Thanks to the hotswap instructions here on afterdawn, I got it working perfectly (though getting the timing right took some time).

Mods, please feel free to lock/close this topic.