1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restart Computer

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Marty2231, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Marty2231

Marty2231 Guest

Hi all, my computer (Windows XP) has started freezing and was wondering how to restart with default settings. I have done it before but cant remember how.

Cheers

2. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

That would be system recovery. In order to start one, I think you have to press F2 at start-up, or whatever it shows to perform one. Sometimes it doesn't show at all. Another thing is to check your memory and do a disk defragmenter, that is if it's the problem.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  3. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Marty2231-
    Welcome to aD!
    You posted this question in the resource center and should have been posted under computer and hardware, but a mod may move us if it needs to be moved.

There are many reasons that your computer may be freezing and I am not certain that restoring your computer to an earlier state will work. However, when you start the computer you may press F8 repeatedly and a option screen will come up. Select the option to restore to an earlier configuration.

Memory, heat, and a number of other OS related issues could cause this. Before you follow the above step first follow these steps.

1) right click "My Computer" and select properties. Verify that the RAM is the correct amount that you have in the system.

2) Download Hmonitor from here: http://www.hmonitor.net/
    Run the program to verify that your system is not overheating.

On the site I just gave you there are screen shots. Verify that your temps are close to what they have. Depending on the processor that you have and the maximum heat it may operate at is different for every user. You do not want your CPU to be over the maximum temp. 56 degrees centigrade is a pretty good place to try to keep your temp. It will fluctuate a little but for the most part that is the general temp that the CPU should be at if not lower.

3) Most Important Get a can of compressed air and open your computer. Make sure that the computer is unplugged and don't touch anything inside unless you are familiar with static discharge. Use the can of compressed air to blow out all of the accumulated dust. Pay special attention to the fans on your system. Make sure that the processor fan, and the PSU fan are free of any accumulated dust. This is something that should be done every couple of months.

4) Plug your computer back in, but do not put the cover on. Start the computer and verify that the CPU fan is running, also the the Power Supply Unit fan is running. You should have, but many do not, a front fan that supplies cool air into the system, and an additional rear fan that helps to pull hot air from the system.

5) If all of your fans are running and your system is clean you may put the computer cover back on. Run the Hmonitor again and see it the temps have dropped. They should have if the system was dirty.

That for the most part covers the initial work and it may have solved the problem. If your system is too hot, then we will need to discuss extra fans or a new PSU.

Now programs can cause malfunction in the computer as well, but we will not get into that yet. See if your system is responding better, if it is not then you may try restoring it to an earlier state. I do not think that will solve the problem. Let me know how it works out for you. I will fill you in on additional information if we need to proceed.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  4. Marty2231

Marty2231 Guest

Thanks, I ran the Hmonitor temps. seem fine. blew dust out wasnt much there as I do it regularly anyway. I think I have just got too much crap on computer and wanted to know how to clean it out and start afresh. I have run the disc frag. last week doesnt seem to help .

Cheers.

5. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Did you also run a scan disk to check for disk errors? Have you run any ad-aware programs?

To completely start a new you will need to do a format of your HDD. I never recommend this. Try running ERUNT to store the system registry and NTREGOPT for optimizing it. These programs work fantastic. If your registry is not clean then don't run them until it is. You may download them here: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

You can go to http://www.download.com and download some good programs that are free to help clean your system. You seem to know what you are doing so you are probably familiar with these programs.

Ad-Aware (Lavasoft)
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    A-Squared
    CCleaner

It is always best to run these programs in safe mode to insure that if you have any nasties in the startup they will be noticed.

Good luck!

6. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

7. Marty2231

Marty2231 Guest

Cheers i will try these suggestions.