1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

returning boxes to suppliers

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by shaneh, Aug 18, 2009.

1. shaneh

shaneh Regular member

2. ColmD

ColmD Member

Pal

I am from Ireland & i did sell Starview boxes to my friends at no profit what so ever, i.e. face value. Now that they have gone off, i cannot blame the person who sold them to me.

People are more than ready to steal cable tv by not paying for the channels, but also want a refund from the seller because Ireland has switched over to Nagra3?

Can anyone explain to me how it is the sellers fault that UPC have switched over to Nagra3? And why should the seller refund you because UPC have switched over to Nagra3? Does the seller have any control over the encryption that was implemented by UPC on monday?

Personally i think you do not have any rights in regards to this matter. If it was taken to a legal level & you had to explain to the magistrate what you purchased, you would not have a leg to stand on. I can imagine you giving evidence, i.e. i bought a Starview 4 box to get all the channels for free, but UPC have gone to Nagra3 & i want my money back.

You simply have to accept & understand the fact of why you purchased the cable box. You always knew they would go off one day.

In regards to the channels going off. If you simply did not intend to pay for them, that is no one fault apart from yours. You purchased the cable box to steal cable TV. End off.

I know this will upset alot of people. But this is the honest truth.

I am sure everyone in Ireland read about Tommy Roddy. Let this be a lesson learnt for everyone. You mess with fire, you will get burnt.

Colm D

3. jam30

jam30 Regular member

here here well put

4. knotaclu

knotaclu Regular member

An Absolutely excellent and Eloquent way of putting your point across JohnD

5. knotaclu

knotaclu Regular member

Just to add to your post, i hope all those people that bought large consignments to pass on to so called "friends" at exhorbitant prices start to feel the heat from their buyers - serves them right for trying to rip people off in these financial times

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  6. knotaclu

knotaclu Regular member

OOps ColmD - sorry

7. shaneh

shaneh Regular member

well first off i got my box over a month ago and put the firmware update on so i have no intention of returning the box, the reason i put the link up "pal" is for people who bought one box who havent recieved it yet and have obviously not opened the packaging, in that case they are fully entitled to return it within 7 days of receipt, its fairly obvious to me anyway that if you flash the box you cant return it, you dont need to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out, there seem to be a lot of people posting who havent receieved there boxes yet so there the people who should be interested in reading that post not yourself

8. e45

e45 Regular member

Fair play to you mate a great reply and 100% true

[​IMG]

9. tony_i

tony_i Guest

According to the law, what a consumer intended to do with the box is irrelevant.

If you bought it off the internet or by phone you can return it within 7 days, no questions asked.

By the way, anyone else notice how many 'newbies' suddenly appear when the interests of the starview mafia are threatened? Amazing.

10. e45

e45 Regular member

That is Uk advice, and might not apply to Irish law, which im sure is totally different. As both jurisdictions are different, same as its not an offence to purchase these boxes in the uk, or even connect them to your cable feed. It is an offence to connect any boxes, to your providers network in Ireland, other than the providers box.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  11. flanzer

flanzer Member

Right lads, here's my story.

I'm from Ireland and bought my Kryptview from a supplier in the UK on Friday and got it delivered today. Rang the guy and quoted the 7 day grace period in which I could return any good and he was having none of it. Tried to tell me that it only applied to British customers. So I rang www.consumerdirect.gov.uk in the UK and asked them to clarify the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 Act. They said that these regulations apply to all trading over the internet within the EU, so I'm covered.

I rang the guy back and told him I was returning the box today and was to get a full refund (les shipping) within 14 days. This was on the advise of customerdirect. He had a hissy fit and told me not to expect a refund and that he couldn't contact his boss to get any clarification on the matter, he couldn't even give me the name of his boss yadda yadda yadda. As I type this, it's winging it's way back to the supplier.

So if you've bought a new box over the last number of days, you should be entitled to a full refund. I can see this case getting legs. I may need to take out a case with paypal or consumerdirect.

If I had of bought the box over a week ago, I would have had to accept it, but these our my rights and your rights.

I'll keep you posted!

12. shaneh

shaneh Regular member

look i live in dublin, everyone here is buying from uk sites, its actually an eu law as well, im not trying to cause any hassle, all im doing is trying to clear things up for the people who have bought one box, not the people who buys loads and sell them on to make a profit, the idea was to stop a ton of threads about returning boxes thats all

13. shaneh

shaneh Regular member

but it is not an offence to buy them in ireland

14. shaneh

shaneh Regular member

fair play to ye

15. shaneh

shaneh Regular member

oh by the way e45 very far from 100% true!

16. e45

e45 Regular member

Never said in my post about buying them. and i was just saying that uk law might differ to Irish law, thats all.

And how would people fair out if it went to court, would they not say well if you cant use them in Ireland, why would you buy one, ?? as it is in legislation, about connecting other boxes to your providers network, so what you say the outcome would be. I would say the customer would lose, due to knowing that the box was not going to work here, due to them not been allowed to connect in the first place, as it was against the law and they still went ahead anyway with the purchase.

Oh and by the way this is all purely hypothetical.

17. tony_i

tony_i Guest

And you reckon that suppliers would be happy to go to court and defend their sale of dodgy cable boxes in front of a judge? Do me a favour.

And of course all of these suppliers are completely legit, tax- and VAT-paying businesses who'd be quite happy to state their case in public.

They've got you by the balls.

18. e45

e45 Regular member

But thats the point, there not dodgy, they are legit boxes as they are sold as FTA units, look on any cable box sites, and it also states on them, if you put software on the box they do not condone this, and will also not take them back, So what would the supplier be worried about nothing they are legit units to sell and use in the Uk, so they have actually nothing to lose really.

19. tony_i

tony_i Guest

So, if we accept that they have a legit use in the UK (as they do of course) then it most certainly is not illegal to import them to another EU country.

If I buy a DVD that is unsuitable to play in the region in which I reside, and I buy it on the internet or by phone, I can have my money refunded under the consumer laws stated above (ie within 7 days of receipt). The point is that I do not have to give any reason for the DVD's return (and refund) under distance selling regulations.

The law has no interest in the intended use of the item. Its only interest is that the item has been returned within 7 days of receipt.

20. e45

e45 Regular member

that is prob true all right but as i said this is all purely hypothetical, so lets see what happens to (flanzer) box, he is going to send back.