1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews/Opinions on the Lite-On LVW5045?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by ohyardman, Dec 21, 2004.

1. johnnyjt

johnnyjt Member

Hi Everyone,

Just got an email from LiteOn customer service

stating that LVW-5045 tuner is Mono!

Bad news!

JohnnyJT

2. jsganz

jsganz Member

Yeah, I just got an answer from them also.
    The 5045 (& all lite-on's) have mono tuners!

3. johnnyjt

johnnyjt Member

Hi, I just received another email from LiteOn...

To Johny,
    Tuner on LVW-5045 is stereo.
    Thank you for contacting Lite-On Tech Support. If you reply please include all previous emails.

Best Regards,
    Lite-On (USA) Tech Support, http://www.liteonamericas.com

Now the first email was from a Service Tech named

Ben and the second as you can see above name was not

mentioned. So anything is possible!

Anyone who has this unit and knows what their doing

should be aware if Stereo or Mono!

JohnnyJT

4. freida

freida Member

Ha ha! This is getting funny now! Going back to my question, has anyone heard stereo, Dolby Surround sound or Movie Theater sound come out of the LiteOn 5045?

Lets forget the tuner for a minute and lets just try a plain old Audio Stereo CD. Push play and tell me if you hear anything other than mono! Please!

5. mgillesp

mgillesp Member

I can certainly get stereo from recordings via the SCART, I don't use the tuner, so I don't know about that.

LiteOn DVD Forums Here>
    http://www.liteonusers.org.uk

Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  6. johnnyjt

johnnyjt Member

Hi

Guess what? I got yet another email from LiteOn

stating that it does have a Stereo tuner! Thats

2 out of 3 for Stereo! Email again with prevoius

email and asked who is right!

JohnnyJT

7. freida

freida Member

Thank you now I will get serious about trying to make it work.

However, now I am having a new problem. I have red lines going up and down and real bad snow on my screen only when the signal goes through from my cable box through the Liteon.

I have a 5005, it doesn't have that problem and also it was working fine for the last week with no red lines. I recorded to the hard drive it it looks bad there too. I thought maybe because the VCR was under it but I moved it and thats not it.

Anyone else have that problem?

Freida

8. catfreak

catfreak Active member

9. shaner30

shaner30 Member

I am getting ready to purchase the unit. I read one review online that the audio video sync is off. Any body else have that problem.

10. freida

freida Member

Oh Brother! I have had the 5045 a couple of weeks now. I have had a 5005 and was happy with it for simple recording and it works fine.

Then I decided to get a 5045 for the 160mb hard drive. Hooked it up and recorded several programs. Picture quality was okay if under 2 hours.

So, guess what, all of a sudden I started to get red lins everywhere. I called Liteon support and the first gu told me it was cable. So I went and bought $100.00 worth of cables. Figured that the S-Video cable would make the picture even better. Also, bought an optital cable for sound.

You guessed it! Red lines still there! I called support again and they said I could exchange it with the place I bought it but I said they have a very bad reputation with customer service, a New Jersey attitute, and I now didn't feel up to dealing with them.

So they said they would send me an return thingy in a few days and exchange the unit with me. arrgggghhh!

I asked about the stereo to the TV and he says it play mono only unless I hook it via the optical port to the receiver.

I would not buy this 5045 again!! Look around or wait!!! For that much money there must be something better. In fact I thinking of selling mine on ebay when I get the new unit and taking a loss if I have to. Just to be rid of it!!

I'll be back to let you know if the new unit works! Take care and thanks to all for your advise! Freida

11. wpickles

wpickles Member

i have a pioneer dvd recorder that has one touch copy, that allows you to place a dvd in the unit and record its contents to the hard drive, and i was wondering if the lvw5045 has the same feature

12. freida

freida Member

Well, I finally recieved my unit back from Lite-On on Feb 18th. Boy, thats some bad service. They would not answer my emails. Very fustrating. But I have the new unit now and the red lines are gone so I feel better.

In answer to your question about the , yes you can copy onto a DVD from the hard drive unless it is copy protected. Not that I tried or anything. I just want to copy my family videotapes onto disc. I'll let you know how that goes if I ever get a chance to do it!

As far as one touch the 4045 has a great feature called Guider. It let's you choose between several options and makes it very easy to record. But I don't think it's a one touch, maybe a couple more touches.

Freida

13. jerrang

jerrang Member

Yes, it has one touch recording. I've had mine about 3 months now and have nothing but good things to say. The previouse poster was right.....the easy glider makes is easy to do all of the many features available. Had a panasonic before this but took it back because I had to get the manual out everytime I wanted to do something different. Check site below for more info and specs.
    http://www.liteonit.com/DC/english/lvw_5045/lvw_5045_2.htm

14. tomc585

tomc585 Member

Like Pickles asked, can you insert a DVD and record it to the HDD?

15. tomc585

tomc585 Member

In case anyone was wondering, ErwinComp dot com has it for $352.95. I would like to find a walk in store localy in case I need to return it. I know CompUSA sells LiteOn products, will have to check.

16. jerrang

jerrang Member

Like Pickles asked, can you insert a DVD and record it to the HDD?

Yes.........as long as it's not copy protected through copyright laws.

17. tomc585

tomc585 Member

I think I'm gonna bite the bullet. I gotta have one of these units. If it works as good as the ILO-DVDR04 I'll be happy. Speak now or forever hold your peace!

18. freida

freida Member

With all the whinning I have done above I still like it! With the 160MB hard drive it is great for one touch recording. The quality is okay if you record on short play but no so great on the longest play but I am liking it more everyday. But there is still more left for me to try out.

And about the stereo issue, I figured it out. Stereo does not go into your TV from the Lite-on but if you use the Optical Cord into your Receiver it plays everything. I have played a Music CD's and Movies in Digital Surround sound and now the sound is great!

So above I was upset that my purchase in Dec. turned out to be a mid Feb. working unit but in the end I am happy. So I think you will be find and for just everyday use you be happy with your purchase. Just hope you don't get a lemon and be careful not to buy it from a cheesy online place that won't let you return it!

I'll let you know when I make copies of my family video's and any trouble I run into along the way. It's good to share this info for others. So let us know if your happy with your purchase.

And that's the truth!
    Freida

19. blackmale

blackmale Member

hi

has anyone had the experience with the 5045, that some transfers to dvd at hq seem better than the original? i've heard comments like that concerning the sony rdr-hx900. could anyone say that the 5045 is substantially the same as the hx900, minus component input which the sony has? just from reading comments, i really like them both, but the component input might lead me to the sony. main reason is, i have a jvc d-vhs which i could get rid of after transferring all my d-vhs tapes to dvd. even if it does mean five dvd's at hq per 5 hr tape!

20. blackmale

blackmale Member

hi

has anyone had the experience with the 5045, that some transfers to dvd at hq seem better than the original? i've heard comments like that concerning the sony rdr-hx900. could anyone say that the 5045 is substantially the same as the hx900, minus component input which the sony has? just from reading comments, i really like them both, but the component input might lead me to the sony. main reason is, i have a jvc d-vhs which i could get rid of after transferring all my d-vhs tapes to dvd. even if it does mean five dvd's at hq per 5 hr tape!