1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB Vs composite

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Mazelda, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Mazelda

Mazelda Member

Hi All
    Until my hdmi cable arrives and out of curiosity my vir*in V+ box has two settings on it for screen RGB and composite what are the differences and which would be best for viewing using a scart cable on a 46in 1080p lcd hdtv
    Cheers
    Maz

2. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Well first off Component(RGB)and composite are both analog connections. A composite cable does not have the bandwidth to carry an HD signal so, you will definately want to use a component cable(RGB)and the RGB setting on the tv. Component will give you a more accurate picture with clearer color reproduction and less bleeding.

I do know that SCART carries RGB and composite video signals but, some of them don't make use of all the pins so the RGB signal is left out. If you have a newer SCART cable, then this shouldn't be an issue. Also, I don't believe SCART can carry a hi-def signal, just analog SD. What other connections are on your equipment?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2008
  3. Mazelda

Mazelda Member

Thanks for the info
    I've 3 hdmi ports on tv and a couple of scarts have an hdmi 1.3 cable on order which should arrive shortly so the scart connection will become irrelavent it was more out of curiosity than anything. The v+ box has hdmi with options for 720 or 1080p so will set for 1080p as the tv is a full hd 1080p when the cable arrives