1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ridata disc stops playing after heats up???

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by boom38, Apr 20, 2005.

1. boom38

boom38 Member

I have Ridata 8x DVD-R's, I copied a movie and when I was watching the burnt copy it worked for about an our and started to freeze and eventually stopped. I played around and could go back and watch the stuff I already watched but I could not go ahead. I tried my other dvd player and got the same results. I let it sit overnight and today I went to try it again it works fine on both DVD players at that point in the movie where it would not work last night and finished watching the movie.

My question is, is there a heat problem here? why would this do this last night and work fine today after it has cooled off?

Any ideas?
    Let me know.
    Thanks

2. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

I don't think it's a heat problem but more a burn issue.

You said it started to skip after 1 hour etc.. ?

What speed are you burning those ?

Lots of people burn at lower speed 2x or 4x and try not to burn on the edge of the media. (Set custom size to 4300 in DVDShrink).

Think it might be that ? !

Burning at 2x made all the difference in the world for me, specialy on my son's cheap DVD player.

3. boom38

boom38 Member

well that movie was borrowed from a friend, it was a burnt copy already. I used Nero and just did a copy disc at maximum speed which is 16X I believe.

I have been using DVDCLONE II to copy other discs that are legit, haven't had time to watch any of those yet to see if they are okay.

If I tried to reburn this disc with my copy at a slower speed will it help or do I have to get a better copy

4. cyepumk

cyepumk Guest

hey there,im not new to burning but im not actually a pro either.but if i understood you right,you burnt a 8x disc at 16x.i dont know man, i think this is going to take some time to figure this out.im just kidding ya!

5. jumpman23

jumpman23 Member

Personally I think its probly the discs go for a better company, I use TDK but Verbatim is also good.

6. cyepumk

cyepumk Guest

just out of curiousity,do you burn your verbs and tdk at...16x SPEED!if so,im goihg out to get some of those myself and declare verbs and tdk the kings of all media. once again,just messing with ya.

7. boom38

boom38 Member

okay okay I goofed, I should have said 8X. Yesterday I copied Meet the Parents with DVDCLONER II and wathced it tonight, ran good til the end when it started to pixel , skip and finally froze. I used the Ridata DVD-R's and have a Benq DVDRW.

Is it the discs? speed I burnt?

Any info would be appreciated!

8. dukhnt

dukhnt Member

Boom, I assure you its not the DVD's I have used over 200 of them and never a problem. I had one disk do what your speaking of, so I took it out of the DVD player, rubbed it with a soft cloth, and blew into the door of the DVD player and it worked fine, not sure what process fixed the problem.

also, if your getting pixels, you might look at what you were doing when you were shrinking or burning the dvd. i.e other downloads, surfing etc?

9. cyepumk

cyepumk Guest

hey seriously,2x speed is the universal speed that most people burn at,no matter what write speed your dvdr is rated for or how great the disk is.you usually get good results from that speed.from there you would either take it up a notch or take it down a notch.the slower you burn the better the results.those write speeds on dvdr media dont take in account for dvd writers varieing performance levels and therefore arent accurate.to put it bluntly the write speeds are decieving(im talking about the 8x and the few that claim 16x).the quality of the disc(the way it was manufactured)is more important than the speed it claims.i use sony dvd+r 4x and they kick ass.so yes burn at low speeds.most dvds will record at 2x,there is few media that is so bad it wont work ever.there are poor quality and good quality disc is the way i would put it.with the good having a higher success rate.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

There have been reports of heat related problems especially if your player is in an enclosure of some sort like a component rack or if you have other components stacked on top of it. It is not unheard of.

Although most don't have problems with ritek media there have also been some reports of inconsistancy with them from batch to batch on occasion. I quit useing ridata and use verbatum datalifeplus (and TY once in a while) now almost exclusively with 0 problems. Keep your burn speeds to 4x or under even when only copying a disc.

Make sure you have the latest f/w, defrag your hdd regularly, and run an adware/spyware proggy prior to any rip/burns.

Mort

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Slow your speed down to x4!

Select a target size of 4300GB so you arent burning to the edge of the disk!

Both have been suggestesd in this thread and should be followed to improve your backup quality. Heres a few other trick's of the trade :)

Burn only the main movie. This allows for little or no compression = Better quality

Get better media! Ritek G05 is causing problems for more and more people period!

Update your drives firmware!

Make sure all background tasks are turned off during the burning process.

If your copying the disk on the fly Don't! Copy the original to your hard drive first and then burn it to your media. It only adds a couple of minutes to your total backup time, but is well worth it!

Good luck :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  12. boom38

boom38 Member

I have been using DVDCLONER II, I don't see any speed adjuster in that prog. Is DVDSHRINK with Nero a better program to use?

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

IMO yes the combination of Shrink and Decrypter are much better than Cloner II.. '
    If you need help using them check out the first guide at my website the link is in my signature.

14. jumpman23

jumpman23 Member

Forget decrypter its unnecesary just run DVD43 (free!) or anydvd (40$ free to try) and all ure problems will be solved.

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

How can you say forget DVD Decrypter?

While AnyDVD is a good program and DVD43 decent they can never replace DVD Decrypter! It's free for God sake and it will rip any movie out there including "Meet the Focker's" which by the way AnyDVD or DVD43 can't do right now. Not only will Decrypter decrypt all the movies it will also burn them. Can AnyDVD or DVD43 do that? I didn't think so! One other thing Decrypter is free! I know so is DVD43, but it takes forever for them to update.

DVD Decrypter should be in everyones list who is serious about backing up DVD's along with DVD Shrink, Nero, and AnyDVD.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  16. orbiter5

orbiter5 Regular member

Forget decrypter!!!!!

Now that would be a mistake.

17. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Right now with the problems I am having with the AnyDVD update, I am on bended knee to Lightning UK, forget Decrypter, no way.

18. cyepumk

cyepumk Guest

@boom38

you used dvd cloner 2 which has dvd compression built in it, to copy your movies,right?supposively it doesnt have a way to adjust compression levels.there could be a chance the movie didnt compress enough to fit on the disc.try skipping to the part where it(meet the parents) froze up at and see if it plays from that point.

with the neros burn you used copy disc.does that invole two dvd drives(one reading while the other burns)?i have an old neros cd burn program that works that way.anyway copying straight from a dvd needs a really good buffer setup as tompared to copying from a hard drive.

19. boom38

boom38 Member

now I went to try and burn another copy of this dvd that was giving me grief and my DVD RW will not read the disc at all. This same thing happenned with two other dvd's my friend gave me, dvdrw would not even recognize a disc being in the player.

I took another DVD that I copied last night that has not been watched and it reads no problem in my Drive.

Is my DVD player doing something to the discs that I can't read?

Any help appreciated!

20. cyepumk

cyepumk Guest

what kind of disc is he using(-r or +r,brand)?does he put labels on his disc?