1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Right Sized HDTV ???

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ofield, Feb 10, 2008.

1. ofield

ofield Regular member

Hi,
    I was reading Amazon's HD 101 and it said for high definition
    you need a set at least 42 inches or higher.

I own a 32 inch Polaroid HDTV. Is this not big enough?? And if so
    why do respected companies such as Sharp, Sony, etc. Make and sell
    smaller HDTV's, even smaller than 32 inches.

Please help I am very confused????

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Do you like your TV? Do you find the picture pleasing? Do DVD's look good on it? Those are the only things that matter. And who in their right mind respects Sony.

3. rav009

rav009 Active member

I'm sure they mean to truly appreciate it it's better to have a larger set, not that its mandatory; of course, this is subjective. Like MysticE said, it really doesn't matter if you're happy with it.

4. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

It really depends on how far away you set, I used to play Xbox 360 on a 22" HD monitor, it looked amazing and brought out alot of detail in games, but I probably wouldn't have noticed as much if I didn't sit right on top of it. In my opinion, the smaller the HD screen, the closer you should sit to still be able to see all the detail you would from a larger HDTV at a farther viewing distance. I feel the same way about 720p vs 1080p on TVs. I wouldn't say it would be a wast of your money to buy a 42" 1080p TV if you were going to set decently close to it, but if you set far back enough you will notice no difference at all. Some of this will depend on how well your vision is too. To really bring out the detail of HD from about 6-8 feet or greater I think you would need atleast a 60" TV or larger, the larger the TV, the more you will notice the difference. I have had a few HD displays, and can say that I don't think the 22" 1080p was overkill, it would have not looked as good with a lower resolution, and would have been noticeable. However I sat about the same distance away from it as you would a computer monitor to tell a difference. I had a 42" 720p plasma that would have looked alot better from about 6 feet if it had been 1080p instead. I now have a 61" 1080p DLP that I sit around 7-8 feet away from, and I can tell a huge difference between 720p and 1080p. It brings out alot of detail, a little more than the 22" monitor just becuase the size is so much different. I think alot of midsized TVs look just as good as the larger ones and show just as much detail, you just have to sit closer to see it.

Sorry if my post seemed repetitive, I started to ramble, but got on a roll, sorry. I am not saying I am 100% correct on this issue, but it is my opinion, if anyone sees it differently thats fine, I would like to see some other opinions.

Also, if you don't think 32" is larger enough to tell a difference, try sitting around 5 feet away from it.

I was also wondering, how far away do you sit now? What do you use your TV for? What resolution is most of your material?

5. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Where does all this 1080p content come from? I think you are over generalizing. The type and brand of TV can make a huge difference in picture quality... it's not always about the numbers.

6. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

I get 1080p from Blu-Ray. I will say that some sources, no matter what the resolution is, look better than others. The Xbox 360 is outputting 1080p over VGA, and compared to PS3 connected through HDMI, it looks terrible. HD material, no matter what it is or what the resolution is, always looks worse than anything from the PS3. Alot of 1080p games for the 360 look worse than 720p ones for the PS3. I am not trying to promote the PS3, just saying I think for the most part HDMI does look alot better than VGA on my specific TV. As for Component, I haven't tried it with 360, even though my TV accepts 1080p through component, so I could get better results.

I also realize that a high quality TV such as Sony, Samsung, or Sharp, will more than likely look better than a cheaper brand of TV. I can't say that certain display types look better than others because there are so many different pros and cons of each one. I think that should depend on the source of most of your content, and the viewing conditions of the room the TV will be in.

My point was, If you have the same source that will output 720p and 1080p, connected to the same TV, there should be a noticeable difference when switched to 1080p, but you may have to sit closer to notice it. All larger TVs seem to do (in general) is make the picture larger so you can see all of the detail from a farther viewing distance.