1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rip just dts5.1 from disc

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by kingrollo, Mar 25, 2008.

1. kingrollo

kingrollo Member

Hi. I've just bought the doors perception box set. It has dvd discs with each album remixed in dts 5.1. However my stupid player will only see the stereo versions and not the 5.1 dts and dolby versions.It is dts capable. It just struggles when there are multiple formats present, as with sacd/hybrid discs to. They are there when i put the disc in my computer and show up on the audio setup options. I really want to listen to the 5.1 versions. Is there anyway to extract the 5.1 dts audio from the discs?

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

It's simple enough to do this. All you need is DVDDecrypter.
    Set it into IFO mode, and as long as you have Stream Processing enabled in the setup options, you can extract just the DTS streams.
    These will, however, be 48KHz Multiplexed streams and will need to be either written to a DVD-Video disc, or extracted to WAV files & re-encoded to DTS-CD at 44.1KHZ.

Can you not access the High Resolution DVD-Audio streams instead? Believe me, these are far better than even the DTS streams.
    If your player is having issues, I would recommend dumping it & getting a new one if possible - and one that is DVD-Audio compatible too.

3. kingrollo

kingrollo Member

I managed to figure out the problem. It either played the discs as dvd-video or dvd-audio and you had to go in to the menu and select play as dvd-audio or dvd-video. Can't make my mind up which is better though the 5.1 dts version or the high resolution dvd-audio.

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

The High Resolution is definitely better - and if it's not audibly better then there is an issue with the speakers you are using.
    Seriously.
    The High Resolution tracks are completely uncompressed - as in "no data reduction" as MLP is a lossless codec - the output is bit-for-bit identical to the input.
    DTS is a lossy stream, at a data rate of 1,509 kbps against the 24/96 streams at 13,800 kbps. Okay, the MLP codec will reduce this to a more manageable number - it's variable though, so unless I go play my copy, and notethe reading on each stream, I cannot give you the figure off the top of my head. Probably around 7-8,000 kbps or so.

Setting the player to AUDIO mode will still allow you to play DVD-Video discs. All this setting does is tells the player to look for an AUDIO_TS folder with valid content in it (AUDIO_TS.IFO will do it).
    A properly authored DVD_A should also give you access to the lossy streams in the Video_TS - all my titles certainly do - as this is a rule in the specifications that is often (sadly) ignored by some authors.