1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rip multiple DVDs to one blu-ray, retaining chapters/menus

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by ryoaska1, Jun 18, 2010.

1. ryoaska1

ryoaska1 Member

I am new to blu-ray burning, and I'm wondering if there is software out there that will let me rip several DVDs and then author a blu-ray with a high level menu pointing to each of the burned discs, and ali retains each disks menu/chapter system so that once I've selected it, I can navigate it just like the original.

I'm not looking for any quality or resolution improvement or anything, it's just in the interest of consolidating 100 discs down to 10. The DVDs aren't copyrighted, so no getting around copy protection or anything, they can just be ripped straight. so just wondering 1) can this be done easily with current authoring software, 2) if so which are the best authoring apps to do it, and 3) if it's not obvious from the interface, what are the steps to do it (format to rip to to keep structure, setting up 'master' menu etc)

Thanks!

2. 13echo4

13echo4 Regular member

I don't know about putting 10 on a disc, but yes you can do what your asking. I used roxio. You set your movies up as chapters. Then select chapter "movie" and it'll that movie. I had roxio burn to Hdd and used Imageburn to burn to blu-ray. What warte came w/ your burner?

3. ryoaska1

ryoaska1 Member

the one that came w/ my burner is called powerdvd 8 or something. I haven't installed it yet though cuz in the reviews of the drive everyone said the software wasn't good and to use something better. I should be able to get 10-> though shouldn't I? for one thing, I don't even think the original content uses the full 4.7 gb of the dvds, but even if it did, 10 DVDs would be 47gb which would just fit a 50gb bd-r (unless I'm leaving something out). Doesn't have to be 10 though, I just meant the purpose was for drastically reducing # of discs I'm using to hold the content.

Anyway thanks for the advice. So what format did you rip the dvds to? You ripped to hdd and then also authored the chapters pointing to each movie w/ Roxio? and it kept each movie's menu/chapter system intact? I've used imageburn before, I'm guessing the roxio output file was iso then?

4. 13echo4

13echo4 Regular member

Your media isn't going to hold 50gb. 45 if your lucky. I've only burnt 3 DL BDs. 1 had 44.2gb the other 2 had 45gbs. No I burnt in file format. In imgburn go under options and select udf 2.5 to burn in br format.

5. ryoaska1

ryoaska1 Member

well, that's a small difference, I think due to the fact that most of my dvd's probably don't take up a full 4.7gb, 10 is probably a decent roundabout number for how many I should be able to fit on each br. That's not that important though- thanks again for the advice, I'll see if I can make this work. Wish those BD-R DLs weren't so damn expensive though...

6. 6Ripper9

6Ripper9 Member

I'm glad I found this topic. I've been wondering about this, as I'd like to take all my TV series DVD's and put each seaon on 1 Blu-ray disc. Thanks for this.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  7. 13echo4

13echo4 Regular member

6ripper9 let us know how's its going.