1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP time waaayy to loonngg ?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by doghart, Oct 28, 2003.

1. doghart

doghart Member

This is my first post.

I would like to say I have found these forums extremely helpful in getting started with my new burner.

I have been using DVDshrink and Nero 6 with great success at backing up my movie collection, no coasters. The issue I have is the time it takes to rip a disc to my hard drive. A typical time so far is about 2.5 hours, then another 18 mins to burn @ 2.4x.

I have tried dvd x copy also, but have only produced coasters and frisbees.

I am removing all foreign languages, subtitles etc... and a typical compression rate is 57%. Picture and sound quality are very good.

My gear: 800mhz PIII PC running win2k pro, Plextor 8x DVD/CD burner (PX-708a), Phillips DVD+R discs. Denon DVD 2900 home player.

I understand DVD read times are slow to help prevent mass copying and resale of burned discs, but 2.5 hours is insane. Is there a way to 'hack' the read speed?

if not , would useing a DVD rom drive (not burner) to read the disc work better/faster?

thanks for any help.

D

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Im rnning a sony vaio P4 2.53 ghz with the stock toshiba 2x burner. I get the files downloaded in about 15 to 30 minutes with shrink and burned onto the disc in about 55 minutes at 2x. My burner is a DVD-R. I wonder if you have a great burner in a slow computer and I have a slow burner in a fast computer?
    good luck,
    Frank

3. doghart

doghart Member

I am wonder also if it's time for a new PC.

Oh i forgot, I only have 196mg of RAM. Could this be it?

D

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

more ram would help a lot. I have a 600mhz with 256 meg of ram and it takes between 30 minutes to an hour to rip.

BTW fasfrank, does it take you 55 min to burn at 2X or 55 min total? Because should only take 30 min to burn a full disc at 2X. _X_X_X_X_X_[small]V4 PS2, flip top, SMD, CDLoader
    Pioneer 105, Memorex 4X DVD-R
    DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, Nero[/small]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2003
  5. koola

koola Guest

Its time for firmware updates!

In doing this, it should reduce your rip times and also increase compatability. Can you afford not to?

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

re to sly... yep the toshiba oem drive in my vaio takes 55min to burn a disc!! My new pioneer should be here any day, though I don't know if that will help. Now that I can actually burn working discs, I want to improve my techniques and hardware, speed the process up and have a better DVD when Im finished. I spend quite a bit of time here at afterdawn reading and trying to understand all these different processes. This is a great place to learn!
    frank

7. Bodene

Bodene Regular member

If you use DVD Shrink to rip AND compress at the same time...it takes a while. Speed up the process by using DVD Decrypter to rip it, then DVD Shrink or DVD2One to compress it. Should go alot faster that way.

I've read a couple of posts about how using DVD Shrink to rip and compress at the same time is harder on your equipment, since it takes so long.

Takes me around 13 min to rip with DVD Decrypter, and about the same to compress it to DVD+R size, and about 17 min to burn it.

8. koola

koola Guest

These rip/compression time depend upon your system configuration! The faster your PC, the quicker the rip/compression will be.