1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rip tv shows: best AUDIO compression settings/codec to use?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by themeth, Jul 29, 2004.

1. themeth

themeth Member

Can someone help me find which audio codec/compression settings when i capture tv shows in order that the files aren't too big?

Thank you,

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

if i'm capturing i'll capture evrything uncompressed (huffyuv for video )and compress later.

i like ogg vorbis for those small compressed files.
    on my pc with athlon xp2500+ barton it manage to encode 8~9 x realtime

3. djethan

djethan Member

that depends on what kind of quality you want. For TV shows where I just care about hearing the dialog reasonably, I'd use MP3 or OGG at 64k-96k, mono. Mono will usually halve your file-size; and really, unless you're rocking out to the show's music, you only need mono for tv dialog. Most TVs speakers are so poor you're basically hearing in mono anyway.

That level of compression will provide medium to low quality at a reasonable size... but what kind of quality you find acceptable is very subjective.

Use that as a starting point and compress the audio at slightly higher and lower rates to find a rate you like.

VBR will provide smaller files, but may not be compatible with your final file-format.

4. themeth

themeth Member

thank you very much. OGG/mono compression works fine for me now, and i still get a decent file size with a quality picture.