1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ripped Vanilla Sky, but files too big!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by prelude99, Dec 2, 2002.

1. prelude99

prelude99 Member

im new to the site, but have been searching around for a while...but anyways, i ripped vanilla sky and the final VOB files after encoding turned out to be 5.1GB...is there anyway i can bring this down? also i ripped van wilder, but when i went to encode, i couldn't select the right bitrate under the options in ReMPEG, so i just set it to the highest, but the movie turned out crappy...but i noticed that theres a box that says "Limit Max Bitrate" when i have the files loaded ready to encode...could this help me? otherwise im just going to have to wait til they come out with single sided 9.4GB disks...which will proly never happen....HELP!

2. mike4692

mike4692 Member

in the options tab there is a sliding scale ,add up the total file size prior to encoding and then divide 4.37 GB by that and it will give you the percentage you need to re-encode it by , thats it , remember to select the correct film ratio normally the bottom one and set to match source , then press encode

3. prelude99

prelude99 Member

i use this one page that has a java applet that allows you to put in the time duration of the movie, the audio bitrate and how many disks it will be on and it would give me a number in which i try to get closest to on the scale, but with van wilder, it would only let me go so far on the slide scale..which is why i asked about the box that says "Limit Max Bitrate"... as for Vanilla Sky, how would i bring down the final file size to be under 4.3GB??

4. bobby5411

bobby5411 Guest

I use 2 methods. For over 4500meg (dvd 9) disks use simple dvd ripping method. for dvd less than 4500 meg i use a direct rip method. If you email me i can send you the instructions. They are easy to read with pics of the exact settings and will allow you to have a great copy of your purchased dvd movie. The instructions are too big to post here is why I say email me for them.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2002
  5. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

bobby5411,

Emails are not allowed on this forum. Thankyou.

6. bobby5411

bobby5411 Guest

ok sorry, I just didnt want to post really long instructions with 2-3meg of pics

7. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

bobby5411,

If you have a "method" try submitting it to the webmaster for inclusion in the Afterdawn Articles section on the homepage.

I do believe we are short of a "tried and trusted backup method" at the moment.

I keep thinking of doing one, but don't just have the time.

HomerJ

8. bobby5411

bobby5411 Guest

you got it, I have made over 40 of my dvd movies I bought. I got tired of paying 20-25 bucks and my kids scratching them up now they scratch em its not that bad, the original is put up. I will send in the instructions with screenshots of the proccess settings. See Ya