1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping 25gb Blu Ray to smaller PS3-friendly files!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by DaLB3, Apr 25, 2008.

1. DaLB3

DaLB3 Member

First thing's first. Big ups to everyone at afterdawn, especially RYU77 and all the senior members. I have been checking this site for about a year now and have never joined because all my problems have been fixed without me even having to ask questions. I've spent about a week figuring this stuff out on my own and having all sorts of problems but finally figured it out, and wanted to post what I found to work flawlessly, and (I think) more simple.

1. Dump Blu Ray Disc with ANYDVD
    2. TSmuxer demux split the .m2ts file to .mpv (video file) and .ac3 (audio file) (default setting for demux)
    3. RipBot264 .mpv file to .mkv limit 8gb size
    4. MKVmerge the .mkv file with the .ac3
    5. mkv2vob (transcoding required)
    6. enjoy

I recommend trying this with a sample first to make sure it works for you, as this works for me. I tried this with my copy of Devil's Rejects and there was a few smaller .m2ts files such as 0006.m2ts that was exactly 1min long, I tried everything with that one first. So after I got done doing that, I watched my full 1080p movie with 5.1 sound on my PS3 via TVersity streaming from my computer in the next room. Oh the greatness of technology! :)

I hope this helped some of you out there that couldn't get anything else to work! Looking forward to comments/input! Thanks!

2. urgan

urgan Member

Cheers for the relpy this is pretty handy, the only problem i have is that when I demux the blu ray using tsmuxer, I'm getting a .264 (its an AVC according to mediainfo raw) and an ac3. And I'm having difficulty in finding anything that will remux it into a video only .mkv or similar so it can be encoded.
    If you've had any luck with these while playing around let me know :)

3. DaLB3

DaLB3 Member

Hmmm.... I'm no expert quite yet, I just found something that worked for me, but I would love to help! You don't <b>have to</b> to video only, the only reason I did is when I did video and audio in ripbot264, the sound was off by like 30 seconds. So this is what I did, the first time (using a step that is not necessary - I think):

1. Dump Blu Ray Disc with ANYDVD
    2. TSmuxer demux split the .m2ts file to any video file and .ac3 (audio file) <b>(only reason you need this step is for the audio track)</b>
    3. RipBot264 .m2ts file to .mkv limit 8gb size - the sound will be off by at least 30 sec. (it was for me anyway)
    4. MKVmerge the .mkv file with the .ac3 <b>(remove <i>original</i> sound by unchecking)</b>
    5. mkv2vob (transcoding required)
    6. enjoy

4. NexGen76

NexGen76 Regular member

Is there a picture guide for this?

5. DaLB3

DaLB3 Member

I'm not going to give a picture guide on AnyDVD, but I will help with everything afterward! :)

Just for you. Checkit.

Alright alright. There's nothing much to this step. Easy.

Load your raw .m2ts file into the input section (like I mentioned before, try it with a smaller file first). Make sure under the "Split & cut" tab there are no splits, just FYI. Select the Demux option then click Start demuxing. This SHOULD split it into a .mpv file (video) and .ac3 file (audio) you only need this for the .ac3 audio file.
    [​IMG]

OK! Time for the slowest and most time consuming part of the job. Welcome to Ripbot264! At the first screen (not shown) click add. This first screen will pop up. Put your raw .m2ts file in here. Be sure to select .mkv and lock size to 8150mb, the profile I highlighted already showed up for me, just make sure it's the same.

[​IMG]

After you're all done with the .mkv output of RipBot264, load up mkvmerge GUI and add in your finished .mkv product, as well as the .ac3 file you got from demuxing earlier. This step was necessary for me because the sound was off multiple tries for me, so I had to go this route. You notice there are 2 audio streams and one video. De-select the audio stream that is built in to the .mkv file, this will get rid of this audio, and put in the correct audio of the raw .m2ts file (as the .ac3 file).
    [​IMG]

After this if you want to play it in your PS3, good ol' MKV2VOB is legendary! Good luck!

6. NexGen76

NexGen76 Regular member

Bro thxs a million i have been looking for a guide like this for months.......This should be stickied.Also question this only work for 25gig or both 25 & 50?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  7. DaLB3

DaLB3 Member

Not a problem dude. Like I said, I haven't tried it on 50gb ones yet. I have only done this on Devil's Rejects (which is 25gb) I don't see why it wouldn't work on 50gb because I've seen some pretty darn impressive 1080p movies around the 8gb mark in an .mkv container. I don't know anything about HDDVD but wish to learn soon because my BDRE drive reads HDDVD's as well. Try this with a smaller file and make sure it works. Any questions feel free to ask! Good luck!

8. NexGen76

NexGen76 Regular member

Okay when i load the raw .m2ts file into RipBot264 for some reason something not going right the size of my raw .m2ts file 26.6 GB.But when RipBot264 finish my mkv file is 89.9 MB.Something is going really wrong & i don't know what it is.

Also after you use TSmuxer what do you do with the 264 video file( 19.7 GB) keep it or delete it? I was thinking maybe thats the file i suppose to use in RipBot264 & not the raw .m2ts file.But you said use the raw .m2ts file again because the only reason we used TSmuxer for to get the AC3 audio right?

If the 264 file after TSmuxer is the one we suppose to use how do i get it to show up using RipBot264 because for some reason my PC can't see 264 files.Thxs for all your help I'm getting close.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  9. DaLB3

DaLB3 Member

Hmmm....interesting. I have only done this with 25gb BluRay. Like I said multiple times, try this with a smaller .m2ts file. For example my main movie file was 0002.m2ts which was 22gb. I tried everything with the small 0006.m2ts file (which was a how-to use the menu - about 1min in length). Focus on this before you go for the big picture. As far as getting .264 files...something has to be happening alternative to what I experienced because I never had a single .264 output file, ever.

Double check.

Good luck! :)

10. NexGen76

NexGen76 Regular member

When i use TSmuxer my final out put is video file 264 file & audio file AC3.So you don't get a 264 video file after you input your raw m2ts files? Does TSmuxer have a setting to control your output for video file after you split the file?

11. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Hello DaLB3, welcome to AfterDawn. Thank you for adding to this community. If you don't mind, I would like to add some advice to your guide...

In regards to step 2, you have mentioned that a .mpv file will be demuxed with tsMuxeR. While this is true for a MPEG2 encoded Blu-ray disc, in actuality there are very few Blu-ray discs encoded with this codec. MPEG2 is considered an older and less efficient codec when compared with the likes of h264 and VC-1. For this reason I tend to stay away from MPEG2 encoded Blu-ray discs. I personally don't feel the quality is where it should be at. So, if the source disc is encoded with h264, then you will get a raw video file with the .264 extension instead of .mpv.

With steps 4 & 5. You mentioned to use mkv2vob with transcoding enabled. You could avoid this step as you have already prepared a Blu-ray compliant video file. Also, mkv2vob uses tsMuxeR for it's muxing part of the process anyway. All mkv2vob does, is simply allow you to change extensions of the output media file. I feel this creates confusion as the created file is really a M2TS media file with the extension changed. Anyone could easily do that manually if they so desired. I think it would be much better to use MKVextractGUI to demux the raw h264 stream from the Matroska (mkv) file encoded with RipBot264 and then use tsMuxeR to multiplex the raw h264 video stream together with the Dolby Digital (AC3) audio track.

Replace steps 3 & 4 with...

4) Use MKVextractGUI to extract raw h264 video file from Matroska (mkv) file.
    5) Multiplex (mux) raw h264 file and Dolby (AC3) file with tsMuxeR.

In regards to step 3 (selecting output size), if you are not using an automated program that outputs Blu-ray than you need to make sure that you allow 6% for the Blu-ray/M2TS headers. For example, if a DVD9 (8152MB) is your desired target then you should be aiming for a final file size of 7600MB (it actually is 7662MB but I allow a little extra to be safe). You will also need to need to consider your audio track size when selecting video bitrate. So if your Dolby Digital audio track is 450MB, that means you can allocate 7150MB to the video track. I would recommend using a bitrate calculator when working out your bitrate (MeGUI has a great one built in).

Just a thought, RipBot264 can output Blu-ray format and also can direct copy the audio track. I feel this would be a far more time efficient solution to the above process...

1) Rip Blu-ray disc to HDD with AnyDVD-HD
    2) Remux original Blu-ray M2TS file with tsMuxeR, selecting movie track and regular Dolby Digital (AC3) or DTS audio track.
    3) Load new (remuxed) M2TS file into RipBot264. Set video profile to "[Level 4.1]HD . BluRay . Consoles". Set audio profile to "x.xCOPY STREAM", and then save as "BLU-RAY DISC" for output format.
    4) Burn Blu-ray folders under UDF v2.5 file structure.

Note: In the RipBot264 x264 encoder settings you could change a few things to optimise quality.

- P4x4 can be enabled.
    - B-Pyramid can be enabled.
    - Buffer size can be 30,000 instead of 14,000.
    - Max bitrate can be 40,000 instead of 25,000.

The max bitrate for Blu-ray is 45,000Kbs including the audio. We can safely set it to 40,000 for the video, unless you are recompressing BD-50 to BD-25 and using a Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD track in which a lower max bitrate for the video may need to be used.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  12. adamryer

adamryer Guest

after doing these 3 steps, would I have a file that I could play off of my hard drive? If so, what program would I use to watch it? My main goal is to save hd space by ripping blu-ray movies to my hd and then compressing them down to as small as possible without too much loss in quality.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2008
  13. DaLB3

DaLB3 Member

You're the bomb Ryu! I am going to be trying this with my next release on the web: Blade Runner in 1080p! This one is VC1, so I see what you mean now. I'll letya know here in a few days how this turned out! :)

14. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Are you referring to a PC HDD or the PS3 HDD? If you are referring to the PS3 HDD, see my post here...

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/621809/4003005

I think this may only work with external media. I haven't tried copying it over to the PS3 HDD yet. If you do try it and find it successful, please let me know.

As you may know raw M2TS files will not play DTS audio, multiple audio tracks and switchable subtitles. This is why we need it in Blu-ray structure for these features to be supported. If you are happy with Dolby Digital and no subtitles, then you could simply export a M2TS media file with tsMuxeR and that can be copied over like any other media file.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  15. adamryer

adamryer Guest

Im talking about playing it directly off of my pc hdd and outputing from my video card to my hdtv. I only use dolby digital so that isnt an issue. So if I export a m2ts file with tsMuxeR then I just play that file? What program could I use to play it?

16. NexGen76

NexGen76 Regular member

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/636597

Two question about this method which i feel is better for me.

1.What version of Nero can you use to encode the video? I have Nero 6 Ultra Edition do i need to upgrade to 7 or 8?

2.On step 4 you said output m2ts or Blu-ray structure which is the best to output to?

Thxs Ryu!

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  17. suavesito

suavesito Member

I tried this and all seemed to work well until I went to play finished production on PS3. I must be burning it wrong or something... It plays ok on Power DVD 7.3

Here is what I select when I burn in Nero 8:

1. Nero Burning ROM - New Compilation
    2. Blue-ray Disc (UDF)
    3. Select No Multi Session
    4. UDF - Manual, Physical Partition, UDF 2.50 (also tried 2.60)
    5. Finalize disc

Let me know if I'm missing something or if I should be trying to burn this test with another app.

Thx

18. DaLB3

DaLB3 Member

I use the latest version of Nero and just use Nero Express and select blu ray - enter my disc - and burn, haven't messed with any settings. I've burned 4 vob files onto a BDRE disc (rewritable) and they all worked fine.

Is your PS3 on the same network as your computer? If so and you have a pretty decent router (I recommend netgear, I tried a Linksys and a DLink, both failing) then all you gotta do is setup the program TVersity onto your PC, check the settings out a bit, and add media to it. So add that .vob to your "media library" in TVersity and your PS3 should automatically detect your computer as a "media server". But then again...this isn't a TVersity thread - just saying what I know works for me.

Good luck!

19. suavesito

suavesito Member

Dang... ready to shoot my foot or something!

Followed these instruction:

1) Rip Blu-ray disc to HDD with AnyDVD-HD
    2) Remux original Blu-ray M2TS file with tsMuxeR, selecting movie track and regular Dolby Digital (AC3) or DTS audio track.
    3) Load new (remuxed) M2TS file into RipBot264. Set video profile to "[Level 4.1]HD . BluRay . Consoles". Set audio profile to "x.xCOPY STREAM", and then save as "BLU-RAY DISC" for output format.
    4) Burn Blu-ray folders under UDF v2.5 file structure.

Note: In the RipBot264 x264 encoder settings you could change a few things to optimize quality.

- P4x4 can be enabled.
    - B-Pyramid can be enabled.
    - Buffer size can be 30,000 instead of 14,000.
    - Max bitrate can be 40,000 instead of 25,000.

and still no go when I play on my PS3.

I am using following method to burn in Nero8:

1. Launch Nero Burning ROM & start New Compilation
    2. Select Blue-ray Disc (UDF)
    3. Check No Multi Session
    4. Select UDF - Manual, "Physical Partition" (not Virtual or Sparable)
    5. Select UDF 2.50
    5. Select Finalize disc
    6. Burn the darn thing

I'm stuck...

thx