1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping "Advanced Resolution" stereo and mono files from the DVD-video side of a DVD-Audio disc

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by RobWh, Jul 4, 2004.

1. RobWh

RobWh Member

I got the Pet Sounds DVD-Audio disc a few weeks ago. This disc has a DVD-Audio side which contains the advanced resolution (24/96) surround mix and a DVD-video side, playable on any DVD video player, which has the surround mix in DD and DTS, as well as a mono and stereo Advanced Resolution (24/96) mixes. I want to rip the mono and stereo Advanced Resolution mixes. The mono and stereo mixes appear to be stored just like a standard movie track with a visual element, but with a 24/96 lpcm track. I tried to rip it with Headache, but it only gives me a corrupt 16bit 44khz wav file. I also tried smartripper, but that causes blue screens when trying to rip. Has anybody got a working method to rip these tracks? Even pointing me in the direction of a utility that will let me fiddle with the wav header on the 16bit 44hz file rather than messing around with some hex editor, will be a great help.

I don't know if you guys are familar with the Pet Sounds disc, but its a classic album and the project was engineered by Mark Linett, a great professional who knows what good sounds like. However, he has a habit of mastering his CD's in HDCD, and I'd like to use the dvd-audio versions to make myself a UV22 reduction to listen to on CD players.

Cheer for any help!!!!

Rob W.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2004
  2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

The DVD-A (Audio_TS) layer is currently un rippable, several good reasons why but not what we need to think about here.
    The Video_TS layer should be perfectly accessible.
    I can think of 2 tools that should do the job for you.
    1/. http://www.imtoo-dvd-ripper.com/dvd-audio-ripper.html

This will rip any audiofrom the video layers into either PCM or MP3. It will probably be the PCM that you are after.
    If this one cannot do the job, then there is option
    2/. http://www.dvddecrypter.com/
    This superb freeware/donationware tool if used in IFO/Stream processing mode, rip your LPCM audio for you.
    It will also rip the AC3/Dolby Digital version too.

LOL

3. RobWh

RobWh Member

Cheers, mate.

I tried it today and it worked with DVD- decrypter. The old method did not work as itt couldn't deal with a 24/96 stream. Now I've just got to decided on the best resampling process!!!

Rob Wh