1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ripping and burning dvd audio in 5.1

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by ec121k, Oct 17, 2008.

1. ec121k

ec121k Member

I have a number of music and concert dvd's that I would like to rip the 5.1 audio files,split into chapters,edit them,then burn to dvd audio retaining the 5.1 audio.What software do I need and what tweaking(if any) would I need to do to the software?
    Thanks for the help.

2. attar

attar Senior member

I don't know how you create DVD-Audio disks, but you can use DVD Decrypter to demux audio streams from DVD's.

In IFO mode, you can select a title (usually the largest on the disk) and if the chapters on the DVD happen to coincide with a song, then each individual chapter can be saved to a folder.
    If the chapters and songs are not coincident, then you would opt to not split the audio and demux it as one large ac3 file.

To edit the saved file, I think you would first use the likes of 'Belight' to convert it to a six channel, mono wav file.
    The new 'Beta' version of 'Audacity' can load/edit/export a multichannel wav file which would now have to be converted back to your desired format.

This is where things get hazy for me;I think either 'BesweetGUI' or 'Belight' can do this - but I'm not certain - and I definitely do not know how to author a DVD-Audio disk.

3. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Ripping out the streams is simple enough.
    Don't bother with the AC3 if DTS is there, as AC3 is like multichannel MP3 quality-wise, eliminating 11/12 of the original data. Not worth the effort.
    DTS streams can be turned back into WAV by the excellent Tranzcode.

Authoring to DVD-A is as easy as a copy of Cirlinca's DVD-Audio Solo. $65 or thereabouts.